What is the 3dB frequency of an RC filter and how can it be calculated?

  • Thread starter Thread starter vg19
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Frequency
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 32K views
vg19
Messages
67
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Using your results, calculate the 3dB frequency of the RC filter.


The Attempt at a Solution



Basically in our lab, we made a simple series RC low pass filter. We put in a 16V peak to peak signal at varying frequencies below, and measured the output voltage at the capacitor (again peak to peak) on the scope. Now if I want to calc the 3dB frequency from my results, would I plot this on a graph and look for the 3dB point? I have tried this, but I think I am going wrong somewhere. The second table would be what I am trying to plot. I took first column is just the log of the frequency. The second column is 10log(Vout/Vin). It just doesn't seem right.

fin (Hz) Vo (V)
50 13.8
100 11.4
150 9.6
200 8.2
250 7.2
300 6.4




1.698970004 -0.749974923
2.000000000 -1.579527115
2.176091259 -2.326214759
3.301029996 -3.010299957
2.397940009 -3.665315444
2.477121255 -4.087127349

sorry for the formatting!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't understand why you are taking the log of the frequency, but whatever. Keep in mind that the 3dB concept in this context is for the voltage transfer function plot (not power), so you should use 20log(), not 10log(). The 3dB point is basically where the output voltage amplitude is down by SQRT(2) compared to the input amplitude. I see one frequency on your first list that is darned close to this number...
 
Firstly, you don't really have to log the frequencies. Secondly, 3dB below 16V is 16 times 10^(-3/20) which is 11.327V. Looking at the table of figures you obtained, I would say that this is roughly around the 100Hz mark.