What is the altitude above earth's surface?

In summary, the conversation is about finding the altitude of a satellite above Earth's surface using equations for forces in circular motion and gravitational attraction. The equation Fg = Gmm over r^2 is mentioned, but the other mass and the radius of the satellite are unknown. The other equation needed is for uniform circular motion, which relates velocity to mass, radius, and central force. The person must show their work before receiving further help.
oosta
Here's the question. I'm not sure how to apporoach it.

A satellite has an orbital speed of 4.2 x 10 exponent 3 m/s. What is the altitude above Earth's surface? (M of Earth = 5.98 x 10 exponent 24 kg, radius of Earth = 6.38 x 10 exponent 6 m)

Physics news on Phys.org
Thread moved to Homework Help.

What equations do you think apply? What do you know so far about forces in circular motion? What is the general equation for the gravitational attraction of two masses?

You must show us your work before we can offer much in the way of tutorial help (see the "Rules" link at the top of the page).

ok well, i think i should use the equation Fg = Gmm over r^2

but i don't know how to find the other mass. and the radius of the satellite.

oosta said:
ok well, i think i should use the equation Fg = Gmm over r^2

but i don't know how to find the other mass. and the radius of the satellite.

That's one of the two equations you need. What is the equation for uniform circular motion that relates the velocity (angular or orbital linear) to the mass, radius and central force?

What is the altitude above earth's surface?

The altitude above earth's surface refers to the distance between a specific point on Earth's surface and the Earth's atmosphere or outer space. It is typically measured in meters or feet.

How is altitude above earth's surface measured?

Altitude above earth's surface can be measured using various methods such as radar, GPS, and altimeters. These tools use different techniques to track the distance from the ground to a specific point in the atmosphere or outer space.

What is the average altitude above earth's surface?

The average altitude above earth's surface is approximately 8.848 kilometers (5.49 miles). This is the average distance between the Earth's surface and the top of the atmosphere.

How does altitude above earth's surface affect climate and weather?

The altitude above earth's surface plays a significant role in determining climate and weather patterns. Higher altitudes experience lower air pressure, which leads to cooler temperatures and less humidity. This can result in different weather conditions compared to lower altitudes.

Can altitude above earth's surface affect human health?

Yes, altitude above earth's surface can affect human health in several ways. Higher altitudes have lower oxygen levels, which can cause altitude sickness in individuals who are not acclimated to the altitude. It can also impact breathing and circulation, making physical activity more challenging at higher altitudes.