What is the Angular Velocity of the Runner and Turntable System?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 13K views
anubis01
Messages
149
Reaction score
1

Homework Statement


A runner of mass 51.0 kg runs around the edge of a horizontal turntable mounted on a vertical, frictionless axis through its center. The runner's velocity relative to the Earth has magnitude 3.60 m/s. The turntable is rotating in the opposite direction with an angular velocity of magnitude 0.160 rad/s relative to the earth. The radius of the turntable is 3.20m , and its moment of inertia about the axis of rotation is 79.0 kg*m^2.


Homework Equations


w=v/r
I1w1=I2w2


The Attempt at a Solution


okay first we are given the veocity of the runner, to determine his angular velocity its just
w1=vrunner/rtable=3.6/3.2=1.125 rad/s

I1(runner)=mr^2=51.0*3.2^2=522.24 kg*m^2

now using the conversation of angular momentum

I1w1+I2w2=(I1+I2)w2'

the w and I provided in the problem statement can be used as w2 & I2 respectivly and we can now solve for w2' which is

I1w1+I2w2/(I1+I2)=w2'

subbing in all the values

(522.24*1.125)+(79.0*0.160)/(522.24+79.0)=600.16/601.24=0.9982=0.988(sig figs)

Now the problem I'm having with this is that I still receive an error with this answer and I've been through my work half a dozen times and I don't believe I made any rounding answers so if anyone could tell me what I am doing wrong I would be very thankful.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi anubis01,

anubis01 said:

Homework Statement


A runner of mass 51.0 kg runs around the edge of a horizontal turntable mounted on a vertical, frictionless axis through its center. The runner's velocity relative to the Earth has magnitude 3.60 m/s. The turntable is rotating in the opposite direction with an angular velocity of magnitude 0.160 rad/s relative to the earth. The radius of the turntable is 3.20m , and its moment of inertia about the axis of rotation is 79.0 kg*m^2.


Homework Equations


w=v/r
I1w1=I2w2


The Attempt at a Solution


okay first we are given the veocity of the runner, to determine his angular velocity its just
w1=vrunner/rtable=3.6/3.2=1.125 rad/s

I1(runner)=mr^2=51.0*3.2^2=522.24 kg*m^2

now using the conversation of angular momentum

I1w1+I2w2=(I1+I2)w2'

the w and I provided in the problem statement can be used as w2 & I2 respectivly and we can now solve for w2' which is

I1w1+I2w2/(I1+I2)=w2'

subbing in all the values

(522.24*1.125)+(79.0*0.160)/(522.24+79.0)=600.16/601.24=0.9982=0.988(sig figs)

I have not checked all of your numbers, but remember that the runner and platform are rotating in opposite direction. What has to be changed here?
 
Oh so then since the table is rotating in the opposite direction of the runner w2=-0.160 rad/s

I1w1+I2w2/(I1+I2)=w2'

subbing in the values

(522.24*1.125)+(79*-0.160)/(522.24+79)=574.88/601.24
w2'=0.95615=0.956(sig figs)

Thanks for the help, I would have never have caught that error by myself.