What is the balance point between 2 gravitational bodies called?

In summary, the conversation revolves around a game idea involving jumping between the floor and ceiling and the player being affected by both gravitational forces simultaneously. The person is curious about the name for the point where the two forces are in balance, also known as the point of equilibrium. They suggest "Lagrange point" or "Lagrangian point," but others point out that this may not be entirely accurate and "equilibrium" may be a more suitable term.
fosterboy123
Hi there!

My physics is not exactly strong (I am a games developer/designer).

Basically I have a game idea where the player will jump between the floor and the ceiling. At any point the player will jump and be affected by the gravitational point of the ceiling and the floor at the same time based on their position on the Y axis.

I understand the mathematics, but I am curious to if there is a name for the point at which the two gravitational forces are in balance (assuming both gravitational forces are identical in strength). I.e. is there a name for the point where the player would just float, not moving toward the ceiling nor the floor?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe point of equilibrium?

But I think it would be difficult, at least in real life, to sit directly at the point of zero net gravitational force. A fraction of an inch too far in either direction will pull you away.

Unless the room is spherical, then everywhere would have net zero gravitational force.

Yeah, I think Equilibrium sounds right!

I actually wanted to know simply for the name and I had no idea what it was called.

Thank you very much!

"Lagrange point" or " Lagrangian point" is the term you're looking for...

94JZA80 said:
"Lagrange point" or " Lagrangian point" is the term you're looking for...
Not really. Lagrange point 1 is not where the gravity forces of two bodies cancel completely, but rather where their net effect provides exactly the centripetal force needed to stay in line with the two bodies, while they orbit:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lagrangian_point#L1

my mistake...i didn't realize that the OP was looking for a point or region in which gravitational forces cancel completely. I guess I need to read more carefully first, b/c after having read the OP again, a stationary floor and ceiling scenario doesn't exactly work like actual orbiting bodies...

...in this case, i don't know that there is any better a term for this kind of cancelling of gravitational forces than simple equilibrium as suggested before i initially posted.

1. What is the balance point between 2 gravitational bodies called?

The balance point between 2 gravitational bodies is called the center of mass or barycenter. This is the point at which the two bodies exert an equal amount of gravitational force on each other.

2. How is the center of mass calculated for two objects?

The center of mass can be calculated by finding the weighted average of the two objects' masses and positions. This can be represented as (m1x1 + m2x2) / (m1 + m2), where m1 and m2 are the masses of the two objects and x1 and x2 are their positions.

3. Is the center of mass always located within the larger object?

No, the center of mass can be located outside of both objects or even in empty space between them. It depends on the masses and positions of the two objects.

4. How does the distance between two objects affect the location of the center of mass?

The distance between two objects affects the location of the center of mass by altering the amount of gravitational force between them. As the distance increases, the gravitational force decreases, causing the center of mass to shift towards the larger object.

5. What is the importance of the center of mass in astronomy?

The center of mass is important in astronomy because it helps us understand the motion and interactions of celestial bodies. It also allows us to accurately predict the orbits of planets and other objects in space.