What is the balloon's air pressure ?

In summary, the conversation is discussing the concept of air pressure inside balloons. The first question asks what pressure value would be read if a balloon is filled to 1/3 of its capacity and an absolute pressure sensor is placed at its opening. The second question asks what the pressure value would be if the balloon is filled to 2/3 of its capacity without changing the atmospheric pressure. The third question asks what pressure value would be read if the balloon is moved to a higher altitude where the atmospheric pressure is half of that at sea level. The conversation also includes a discussion about the relationship between the volume, pressure, and temperature of a balloon and how it can vary depending on the type of balloon. It also discusses the effects of tensile
marz
There is something confusing me about air pressure inside balloons. I got three questions:

Assume I am sitting at sea level, with a balloon. I fill it to 1/3 its capacity with air.
Then I place an absolute pressure sensor at its opening.
1- What pressure value do I read ?
Do I get the 1013 mbar which is the atmospheric pressure at sea level ? Because I read that the pressure inside the balloon must equal the outside pressure.

Now, I fill it to 2/3 its capacity with air.
2- What do I read now ? Is it double the pressure I got at question 1 or is it still the same ?
Remember, the outside atmospheric pressure did not change. It is still 1013 mbar. Also note the balloon has doubled its air mass.

Now, with 2/3 its capacity still filled with air, I move the balloon up to an altitude where the atmospheric pressure is half that at sea level.
3- What pressure value do I read there ?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Whatever you doing the volume V of the baloon keeps changing according to the equation PV=nRT so that its pressure P always equals the atmospheric pressure. So for example when u double the n ( that is you put double air mass inside it) while keeping the atmospheric pressure the same (and assuming the temperature remains the same), the volume becomes double.

marz said:
Now, with 2/3 its capacity still filled with air, I move the balloon up to an altitude where the atmospheric pressure is half that at sea level.
3- What pressure value do I read there ?
Note that part 3 is a trick question.

Delta² said:
Whatever you doing the volume V of the baloon keeps changing according to the equation PV=nRT so that its pressure P always equals the atmospheric pressure.
This is not correct. The balloon membrane is under tensile stress, and this causes the pressure inside the balloon to be higher than the pressure outside (if the balloon is inflated). You can show this by doing a force balance on a small area of the curved balloon surface. If the pressure inside were the same as the pressure outside, it would take no effort to blow up the balloon.

Chet

Likes Ravi Singh choudhary, PietKuip and Vibhor
Chestermiller said:
This is not correct. The balloon membrane is under tensile stress, and this causes the pressure inside the balloon to be higher than the pressure outside (if the balloon is inflated). You can show this by doing a force balance on a small area of the curved balloon surface. If the pressure inside were the same as the pressure outside, it would take no effort to blow up the balloon.
Although this is correct, it is also true that the gauge pressure inside a party balloon is typically only a small fraction of atmospheric pressure. The tensile stress can often be neglected and the absolute pressure in the balloon will be approximately equal to ambient.

Likes Vibhor
jbriggs444 said:
Although this is correct, it is also true that the gauge pressure inside a party balloon is typically only a small fraction of atmospheric pressure. The tensile stress can often be neglected and the absolute pressure in the balloon will be approximately equal to ambient.
Agreed.

Chet

Chestermiller said:

Chet
If the problem refers to an elastic balloon, then it does not make sense to say that it is filled to 1/3 to its capacity. Such a balloon does not have a fixed "capacity". And how would you fill just a fraction of it?
What kind of balloon do you have in mind when you discuss this problem?

nasu said:
If the problem refers to an elastic balloon, then it does not make sense to say that it is filled to 1/3 to its capacity. Such a balloon does not have a fixed "capacity". And how would you fill just a fraction of it?
What kind of balloon do you have in mind when you discuss this problem?

Weather balloon

jbriggs444 said:
Note that part 3 is a trick question.
Why? I guess the temperature also drops as we move to higher altitude but something tells me this is not what u mean by tricky.

Delta² said:
Why? I guess the temperature also drops as we move to higher altitude but something tells me this is not what u mean by tricky.
If the balloon was at 2/3 capacity and ambient pressure is reduced by half without venting gas, what fraction of capacity is the balloon now at?

4/3? This means it explodes?

Likes jbriggs444
marz said:
Weather balloon
If it's one made of materials like cloth impregnated with polymers, I think a reasonable model will be to assume that the pressure can be more than atmospheric pressure (Pa) but not less. Once is filled to maximum volume its pressure can increase above the atmospheric pressure.
When it is partially filled, the pressure may be approximately equal to Pa. It may be a little more if the weight of the non-inflated part presses the gas.

jbriggs444 said:

Hi jbriggs ,

In the case of party balloon we can neglect the tensile stress , but can we do the same in problems where an air bubble is given . I will take a problem for example sake .

An air bubble released at the bottom of the pond expand to four times its original volume by the time it reaches the surface .If atmospheric pressure is 100 KPa ,what is the absolute pressure at the bottom of the pond ? ( Answer comes out to be 400KPa )

In these type of problems also , why do we assume that pressure inside the air bubble is equal to the ambient pressure ( pressure of the water) ?

I think surface tension plays same role that tensile stress plays in case of party balloon . I guess the pressure difference between inside and outside of balloon is 4T/R ,where T is the surface tension and R is the radius of balloon .

Do we neglect pressure difference arising due to surface tension ?

Many Thanks

Vibhor said:
Hi jbriggs ,

In the case of party balloon we can neglect the tensile stress , but can we do the same in problems where an air bubble is given . I will take a problem for example sake .

An air bubble released at the bottom of the pond expand to four times its original volume by the time it reaches the surface .If atmospheric pressure is 100 KPa ,what is the absolute pressure at the bottom of the pond ? ( Answer comes out to be 400KPa )

In these type of problems also , why do we assume that pressure inside the air bubble is equal to the ambient pressure ( pressure of the water) ?

I think surface tension plays same role that tensile stress plays in case of party balloon . I guess the pressure difference between inside and outside of balloon is 4T/R ,where T is the surface tension and R is the radius of balloon .

Do we neglect pressure difference arising due to surface tension ?

Many Thanks
For a 3 cm bubble released at the bottom of the pond, calculate the pressure difference arising from surface tension and see what the number comes out to be.

I think I was wrong in assuming that surface tension would be present in an air bubble .The air inside the bubble should be exactly at the same pressure as outside water . I guess an air bubble is not similar to a party balloon ( in terms of pressure ).

Vibhor said:
I think I was wrong in assuming that surface tension would be present in an air bubble .The air inside the bubble should be exactly at the same pressure as outside water . I guess an air bubble is not similar to a party balloon ( in terms of pressure ).
You were right in the first place. Surface tension would have a small effect, unless the bubble were very small, in which case it could be much more important. In the case of a balloon, the rubber membrane would also have an effect, but not great.

Chet

1. What is air pressure?

Air pressure is the force exerted by the weight of air molecules in the Earth's atmosphere. It is measured in units of pressure, such as pounds per square inch or pascals.

2. How does air pressure affect balloons?

Air pressure is one of the main factors that determines the size and shape of a balloon. When air is pumped into a balloon, the air pressure inside increases, causing the balloon to expand. If the air pressure inside is greater than the air pressure outside, the balloon will stay inflated. If the air pressure inside is less than the air pressure outside, the balloon will deflate.

3. How is air pressure measured in a balloon?

Air pressure in a balloon is typically measured using a device called a barometer. This device uses a column of mercury to measure the weight of the air and convert it into a pressure reading. Another common method is to use a pressure gauge, which measures the pressure directly in units of pressure.

4. What happens to air pressure as a balloon rises in altitude?

As a balloon rises in altitude, the air pressure outside of the balloon decreases. This is because there are fewer air molecules in the atmosphere at higher altitudes. As a result, the air pressure inside the balloon becomes greater than the air pressure outside, causing the balloon to expand. This is why balloons can become larger as they rise into the atmosphere.

5. How does temperature affect air pressure in a balloon?

Temperature can also affect the air pressure inside a balloon. When air molecules are heated, they become more energetic and take up more space, causing the air pressure inside the balloon to increase. On the other hand, when air molecules are cooled, they become less energetic and take up less space, causing the air pressure inside the balloon to decrease. This is why balloons can deflate in cold temperatures and inflate in warm temperatures.