Pressure Difference Between the Inside and Outside of a Balloon

In summary, the biaxial tensile stress in the material of a balloon can be calculated using an equation that takes into account the radius and material thickness, and this equation can be applied to different materials such as rubber, mylar, steel, plastics, or glass. However, if the material doesn't stretch significantly, the equation simplifies to a single term. This equation can also be used to determine the strength needed for a space suit.
Kyle Roode
Hello all. I have a question about gasses and pressure: Is there a way to calculate how strong a material making up a balloon has to be to withstand a given pressure difference between the inside and outside?

In other words, if I have a balloon I need to fill to a pressure of 10atm inside vs 1atm outside the balloon, is there a way to calculate how strong the material needs to be to withstand this difference in pressure?

What if I took that same balloon and put it into a vacuum chamber (lowering from 1atm to say 0.1atm outside the balloon)?

Physics news on Phys.org
The biaxial tensile stress in the balloon rubber of a spherical balloon is given by $$\sigma=\frac{(\Delta p) r_0}{2h_0}\left(\frac{r}{r_0}\right)^3$$where ##r_0## and ##h_0## are the radius and material thickness when the internal pressure only slightly exceeds the external pressure and r is the balloon radius when the balloon is at full pressure. Is this what you were looking for? Or is this a mylar balloon?

Likes Kyle Roode and Dale
Thank you for the response. That equation is helpful for me.

What would change for the equation if it were mylar? I was really only using a balloon as an example. I am actually curious about using any material (be that rubber, mylar, steel, plastics, glass...). Does this equation work for any material?

It may be helpful to know my original thoughts before posting this were specifically in reference to an astronaught’s space suit. I thought maybe a balloon would just be a place to start.

Kyle Roode said:
Thank you for the response. That equation is helpful for me.

What would change for the equation if it were mylar? I was really only using a balloon as an example. I am actually curious about using any material (be that rubber, mylar, steel, plastics, glass...). Does this equation work for any material?

It may be helpful to know my original thoughts before posting this were specifically in reference to an astronaught’s space suit. I thought maybe a balloon would just be a place to start.
If the material comprising the balloon doesn't stretch significantly, then the term involving r/ro is unity.

Likes Kyle Roode
Thank you for taking the time to answer my question.

One last thing: what does the symbol on the left-side of the equation mean?

The symbol on the left stands for stress, the value of which can be compared against the yield stress of different materials

1. What causes the pressure difference between the inside and outside of a balloon?

The pressure difference between the inside and outside of a balloon is caused by the elasticity of the balloon material. When the balloon is inflated, the material stretches and creates a higher pressure inside the balloon compared to the surrounding air.

2. How does the pressure difference affect the size of the balloon?

The pressure difference between the inside and outside of a balloon determines the size of the balloon. When the pressure inside the balloon is higher than the outside, the balloon expands and becomes larger. When the pressure inside is lower, the balloon will deflate and become smaller.

3. Why does a balloon pop when it is over-inflated?

A balloon will pop when it is over-inflated because the pressure inside the balloon becomes too great for the balloon material to contain. The material will eventually reach its breaking point and burst, releasing the excess pressure.

4. How does the temperature affect the pressure difference inside a balloon?

The temperature of the air inside a balloon can affect the pressure difference between the inside and outside. When the air inside the balloon is heated, the molecules move faster and create a higher pressure. Conversely, when the air cools, the molecules slow down and the pressure decreases.

5. Can the pressure difference inside a balloon be changed?

Yes, the pressure difference inside a balloon can be changed by either inflating or deflating the balloon. The amount of air or gas inside the balloon will determine the pressure difference. Additionally, temperature changes can also affect the pressure difference inside the balloon.