What is the best book for studying calculus as a beginner?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 5K views
alba_ei
Messages
38
Reaction score
1
I want study calculus for understand it better and get better in my class. For what book do I should start? What about these books: Spiavak, James Stewart, Apostol. which is better??
I already know about functions, limits and derivation but soon I am going to be with integration so I want to get basics and study again those topics (limits, functions and derivates)

which book do you recommend?:confused:
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I have used Stewart, early transcendentals and I found it to be pretty good.
 
I guess it depends on how deep you want to swim. In order of "shallow" to "deep": Stewart, Spivak, Apostol.
 
I've only read the works of Spiavak and Stewart, so I can't speak for Apostol. I do prefer Spiavak though.
 
Apostol is a bit unconventional in that he introduces integration before limits and differentiation, and in a way that most people are not used to. But if that doesn't bother you, along with the Definition-Theorem-Proof format, then Apostol is a pretty good choice to learn calculus.

Haven't seen the other books.