Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Python What is the best place to learn Python?

1. Nov 1, 2016 #1
    What would be your option for learning python? Would it be a book a course a youtube channel.. you name it, whether paid or free it doesnt matter i just want to get an idea of the best place to start..

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 1, 2016 #2

cobalt124

Gold Member

A few years back I did an online course (Introduction to Python) run by Coursera/University of Toronto), which I found useful to learn the basics, maybe something similar to that? I had a programming background, but this wasn't necessary for the course.

4. Nov 1, 2016 #3

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

5. Nov 1, 2016 #4

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

You could start with the Python mode in Processing. There is a simple book by Orielly that introduces you to the language:

https://www.amazon.com/Getting-Star...&qid=1478003038&sr=8-1&keywords=processing.py

Processing is an IDE for folks who want to learn programming via interactive graphics. It comes with many many examples in Java and in Python (more in Java). The version of Python used is Jython which can interface seamlessly with java libraries to do some cool programs.

http://py.processing.org/

If you want to learn numerical computing with Python then the Anaconda distribution of libraries and tools is the way to go as everything you need to do numerical work is included and configured.

http://lectures.quantecon.org/py/index.html

6. Nov 1, 2016 #5

jtbell

Do you already know how to program reasonably well in some other language?

That is, do you just need to learn Python syntax and idioms, or do you also need to learn general programming concepts and techniques?

7. Nov 1, 2016 #6
    Hi, thank you all for replys, you are most kind :-), i dont know any programming but plan to learn some basic stuff and then do some focusing like i found some course on udacity which teaches python in order to make a search engine. What do you think of that?

8. Nov 1, 2016 #7

DaveC426913

Gold Member

The best place to learn Python is Orje Norway.

9. Nov 1, 2016 #8

QuantumQuest

Gold Member

In order to learn the basics, I'd recommend to go with what you're most comfortable (online course, tutorial, textbook etc.) or any combination you find useful. I haven't taken a course in udacity but from reviews I've read, I think it will be ok. Also Coursera, as mentioned above, has good courses and specializations.

In order to do some serious work in programming, you'll need other things along the way, like algorithms, data structures and other CS stuff. I recommend to put them in your learning list, too.

10. Nov 1, 2016 #9
    I just saw MIT OCW Int to computer science and programming course which teaches python 2.7. Its on its way out being replaced by 3.0 but the skills are transferable just a little different syntax right?

11. Nov 1, 2016 #10

QuantumQuest

Gold Member

That's a really good choice in my opinion. As far as learning to code with Python is concerned, you are right. Obviously, more careful thought about version is needed, when you have to use Python for a project you work on.

12. Nov 1, 2016 #11

Mark44

The current version is 3.52. There's not all that much difference betwee 2.7 and the 3.x versions as far as basic syntax is concerned, although the syntax for print is quite a bit different.

13. Nov 1, 2016 #12

jedishrfu

14. Nov 1, 2016 #13

Mark44

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted