What is the best place to learn Python?

In summary, when it comes to learning Python, there are many different resources available such as books, courses, and online tutorials. Some popular options include Coursera, Udacity, and the MIT OpenCourseWare. It is recommended to choose a resource that you feel most comfortable with and also consider supplementing your learning with resources that cover concepts like algorithms and data structures. Additionally, the skills acquired in Python 2.7 are transferable to the current version 3.52, with just some minor differences in syntax. Ultimately, the best way to learn is by practicing and solving problems, which can be done through programming challenges and cookbooks like the Python Cookbook.
doktorwho
What would be your option for learning python? Would it be a book a course a youtube channel.. you name it, whether paid or free it doesn't matter i just want to get an idea of the best place to start..

Technology news on Phys.org
A few years back I did an online course (Introduction to Python) run by Coursera/University of Toronto), which I found useful to learn the basics, maybe something similar to that? I had a programming background, but this wasn't necessary for the course.

You could start with the Python mode in Processing. There is a simple book by Orielly that introduces you to the language:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1457186837/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Processing is an IDE for folks who want to learn programming via interactive graphics. It comes with many many examples in Java and in Python (more in Java). The version of Python used is Jython which can interface seamlessly with java libraries to do some cool programs.

http://py.processing.org/

If you want to learn numerical computing with Python then the Anaconda distribution of libraries and tools is the way to go as everything you need to do numerical work is included and configured.

http://lectures.quantecon.org/py/index.html

Likes ChrisVer
Do you already know how to program reasonably well in some other language?

That is, do you just need to learn Python syntax and idioms, or do you also need to learn general programming concepts and techniques?

Likes QuantumQuest
Hi, thank you all for replys, you are most kind :-), i don't know any programming but plan to learn some basic stuff and then do some focusing like i found some course on udacity which teaches python in order to make a search engine. What do you think of that?

The best place to learn Python is Orje Norway.

doktorwho said:
...i don't know any programming but plan to learn some basic stuff and then do some focusing like i found some course on udacity which teaches python in order to make a search engine. What do you think of that?

In order to learn the basics, I'd recommend to go with what you're most comfortable (online course, tutorial, textbook etc.) or any combination you find useful. I haven't taken a course in udacity but from reviews I've read, I think it will be ok. Also Coursera, as mentioned above, has good courses and specializations.

In order to do some serious work in programming, you'll need other things along the way, like algorithms, data structures and other CS stuff. I recommend to put them in your learning list, too.

I just saw MIT OCW Int to computer science and programming course which teaches python 2.7. Its on its way out being replaced by 3.0 but the skills are transferable just a little different syntax right?

doktorwho said:
I just saw MIT OCW Int to computer science and programming course which teaches python 2.7. Its on its way out being replaced by 3.0 but the skills are transferable just a little different syntax right?

That's a really good choice in my opinion. As far as learning to code with Python is concerned, you are right. Obviously, more careful thought about version is needed, when you have to use Python for a project you work on.

doktorwho said:
The current version is 3.52. There's not all that much difference betwee 2.7 and the 3.x versions as far as basic syntax is concerned, although the syntax for print is quite a bit different.

Likes jedishrfu

1. What is Python and why is it important to learn?

Python is a high-level, interpreted programming language that is widely used for web development, data analysis, artificial intelligence, and scientific computing. It is important to learn because it has a simple syntax, making it easy to read and write, and it has a large and active community with many resources available for learning and development.

2. Where can I learn Python for free?

One of the best places to learn Python for free is through online resources such as Codecademy, Coursera, or YouTube. These platforms offer interactive courses, tutorials, and videos that cater to different levels of learners. Additionally, the official Python website has a list of free tutorials and resources for beginners.

3. Should I learn Python 2 or Python 3?

It is recommended to learn Python 3 as it is the current and future version of the language. Python 2 is no longer supported and will not receive any updates. However, there are still some legacy projects that use Python 2, so it may be useful to have knowledge of both versions.

4. Can I learn Python without any prior programming experience?

Yes, Python is often recommended as a first programming language for beginners due to its simple syntax and readability. Many online resources and courses are designed for beginners and do not require any prior programming knowledge. It is important to have a strong understanding of basic programming concepts, such as variables and loops, before diving into more complex topics.

5. Are there any in-person classes or workshops for learning Python?

Yes, there are many in-person classes and workshops offered by universities, coding bootcamps, and community organizations that teach Python. These options may be more expensive than online resources, but they provide a structured learning environment and the opportunity to interact with instructors and other students. It is also worth checking if there are any local Python user groups or meetups in your area.