What is the best way to learn Windows programing?

• Thread starter Mr Virtual
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

Hello Everyone

I have just finished learning C++ in my +1 and +2 classes. Now I want to proceed to GUI programing (or Windows programing). However I find that there are too many functions and other things to remember, for a beginner. I mean Windows programing is a whole lot different from what we used to do in C++. Is there an easy way out or did all the programers initially cram these functions before proceeding any further? Also, is there any tutorial suitable for people like me who want a smooth transition from the easy C++ to the complex GUI app programing?

I have noticed that each GUI application has a basic set of functions and objects. I understand what most of them do. But is it necessary to remember them all too? Or is it OK if I just copy and paste them from one project to the other for the moment, proceed with my task, and hope that I will learn them in due time?

Useful and helpful suggestions are most welcome.

Warm regards
Mr V

Answers and Replies

jim mcnamara
Mentor
It's called the Windows API and, yes, you do have to know a subset of those functions.
Do your example programs use MFC - Microsoft Foundation Classes? That is also something you have to learn for C++ Windows programming.

I don't know anything about MFC. But I want to know if there is a tutorial that teaches Windows programing the same way as C++ is taught i.e. starting with data types and basic things and then building functions, structures, classes etc. with them.

Mr V

I have got the book and will take a peek in it. Thanks for the suggestion.

Mr V

chroot
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
You DO NOT want to learn the Windows API. It's far too complicated and it's a waste of time.

Instead, learn a decent cross-platform toolkit like wx, Qt, GTK+, or whatever you like best. Your programs will be simple and easily ported to any operating system you like.

- Warren