Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the best way to learn Windows programing?

1. Apr 17, 2008 #1
    Hello Everyone

I have just finished learning C++ in my +1 and +2 classes. Now I want to proceed to GUI programing (or Windows programing). However I find that there are too many functions and other things to remember, for a beginner. I mean Windows programing is a whole lot different from what we used to do in C++. Is there an easy way out or did all the programers initially cram these functions before proceeding any further? Also, is there any tutorial suitable for people like me who want a smooth transition from the easy C++ to the complex GUI app programing?

I have noticed that each GUI application has a basic set of functions and objects. I understand what most of them do. But is it necessary to remember them all too? Or is it OK if I just copy and paste them from one project to the other for the moment, proceed with my task, and hope that I will learn them in due time?

Useful and helpful suggestions are most welcome.

Warm regards
    Mr V
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 17, 2008 #2

jim mcnamara

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It's called the Windows API and, yes, you do have to know a subset of those functions.
    Do your example programs use MFC - Microsoft Foundation Classes? That is also something you have to learn for C++ Windows programming.
  4. Apr 17, 2008 #3
    I don't know anything about MFC. But I want to know if there is a tutorial that teaches Windows programing the same way as C++ is taught i.e. starting with data types and basic things and then building functions, structures, classes etc. with them.

Mr V
  5. Apr 17, 2008 #4
  6. Apr 18, 2008 #5
    I have got the book and will take a peek in it. Thanks for the suggestion.

Mr V
  7. Apr 18, 2008 #6

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You DO NOT want to learn the Windows API. It's far too complicated and it's a waste of time.

Instead, learn a decent cross-platform toolkit like wx, Qt, GTK+, or whatever you like best. Your programs will be simple and easily ported to any operating system you like.

- Warren
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?