What is the best way to make Blueberries last longer?

• Thread starter skyshrimp
  • Start date
In summary, the blueberries were in the fridge for 5 days and got furry. The soft ones went furry, so I meticulously sorted through them and picked out the ones that were infected. I only lost about 10% and the rest are firm and fresh. If I soak them in water in a bowl, is there a household chemical I could add to kill off any of the remaining, invisible fungus? Citric acid is often used in food for conservation. Washing them is probably the best method you can choose.
skyshrimp
I bought a lot of blueberries on sale but didn’t get around to eating them for 5 days. They were in the fridge. The soft ones went furry, so I meticulously sorted through them and picked those out. I only lost about 10% and the rest are nice and firm. A large bowls worth.

I want them to last a few more days. If I soak them in water in a bowl, is there a household chemical I could add to kill off any of the remaining, invisible fungus?

Physics news on Phys.org
Citric acid is often used in food for conservation. I doubt it is fungicidal, but you can't go wrong with it. Washing them is probably the best method you can choose. Or simply freeze them.

Likes Klystron
Thanks,

I’ve got pure ascorbic acid. Any good?

I'm not sure. Vit C has probably similar properties and they can often be found side by side in food. I don't know why they use citric acid so often. Maybe it's cheaper.

I’ve got vinegar and baking powder too. They’ll probably be ok for a few days. It’s just the soft ones that got infected. I’ll probably make a smoothie with them tomorrow. I wanted to sterilise them first, but their dry, firm and fresh.

If you combine vinegar and baking powder, you will at least have a nice reaction. I wouldn't add anything what isn't in the fruits already. Blueberries are high on vit C, so citric acid is probably better. If you add vinegar, you won't get out the taste anymore by no means.

That doesn't sound very tasty though.

The traditional methods are canning, making preserves/jam, dehydrating or freeze-drying, or freezing. I've read that you can freeze some fruits without ruining their texture if you freeze them quickly: a single exposed layer in the freezer until frozen, then packed in a bag.

I think the best bet is to not buy more than you can eat quickly.

If you freeze them you can still make a good smoothie without thawing...for future reference
And citric acid is really useful to have around (particularly if you have hard water).

skyshrimp said:
Thanks,

I’ve got pure ascorbic acid. Any good?
Restaurants use a light concentration of ascorbic acid -- an antioxidant -- in cold water to keep leaf vegetables from turning brown (oxidizing) for a day or two. The same places use sugar syrup and/or honey to keep berries fresh for a few days.

Sugars, citric acid and ascorbic acid with heat are used to can fruits in the form of compote, jellies and jams. Blueberry jam tastes great IMO.

Vinegar; essentially pickling, helps preserve a wide range of vegetables at the cost of a sour taste. Spices, salt a/o sugars are often added to recipes. Some cultures prize pickled fruits such as mangoes, melon and chilies. Blueberries could be pickled.

Most moist fruits can be dried or salted without the sour taste of vinegar. Dried blueberries and cranberries are common in some areas. I suggest refrigerating DIY preserves including jams and pickles. Warm storage requires expertise in sanitizing, cooking and sealing to avoid botulism, fungi and molds.

Nearly any fruit and many grains can be preserved by fermentation. Some training necessary plus adherence to local alcohol laws.

What I do to keep fresh berries fresh longer is to put them in a plastic container that can be sealed, but with paper towel between layers. That is, I put a paper towel in the bottom of the container, put in a row of berries, put in another paper towel, etc and then top it off with a paper towel and then put the top on. I've never used it for blueberries but it works great on strawberries, blackberries, and raspberries. I also use it for pineapple chunks and mango strips.

Oh, and FIRST dry off the berries if they are at all wet.

Best? Don't know. But we do better with blueberries by rinsing them well, picking out any that look bad, and putting them back in the fridge in a different container.

I squirting them generously with lime juice to the lower pH. They're all eaten now. I'm starting a 'fruit only' detox for a few days. They were a steal at 25p per pack.

Thanks for all the advice.

skyshrimp said:
I want them to last a few more days...

I like the Trader Joe's freeze-dried blueberries. The have good flavor - as compared with most grocery chain ones that I've tried. They also have a nice crunch. It's kinda like eating candy but without the calorie density. A sealed bag lasts for a good while.

1. How long do blueberries typically last?

Blueberries can typically last for 5-7 days when stored properly in the refrigerator.

2. What is the best way to store blueberries?

The best way to store blueberries is to place them in a clean, dry container and store them in the refrigerator. Do not wash them until you are ready to eat them.

3. Can I freeze blueberries to make them last longer?

Yes, you can freeze blueberries to make them last longer. Wash the blueberries and dry them thoroughly, then place them in an airtight container or freezer bag and store in the freezer for up to 6 months.

4. Should I wash blueberries before storing them?

No, it is best to not wash blueberries before storing them. The moisture from washing can cause them to spoil more quickly. Only wash them right before you are ready to eat them.

5. Are there any other methods to make blueberries last longer?

Another method to make blueberries last longer is to remove any damaged or moldy berries from the container to prevent them from spoiling the rest. You can also place a paper towel at the bottom of the container to absorb any excess moisture.