1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the charge of the 10 billion electrons?

1. Jan 20, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data:
    I have a battery and lightbulb circuit (in series). 12V battery rated at 35Ah.

Ten billion electrons pass a planar cross section of the wire. What is the charge of the 10 billion electrons?

2. Relevant equations
    Q=Ne
    I=dq/dt
    1A=1C/s

3. The attempt at a solution
    Is this as simple as using Q=Ne or not? I may be overthinking this, but this doesn't seem right.

Q = Ne
    Q=(#electrons)(electron charge)
    Q= (1E10)(1.6E-19 C)
    Q = 1.6 E -9 C

Last edited: Jan 20, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 20, 2016 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Not an advanced physics problem, so moved to Intro Physics

4. Jan 20, 2016 #3

Doc Al

Assuming you have the question right, that's all there is to it. (Get the sign right.)

5. Jan 20, 2016 #4
    Ok. Follow up question. How many Joules of energy does the battery I mention store? I would use .5CV^2 or .5QV, but this is what I learned in E&M physics, so I think there is another way. This is EGR 110 intro to electrical and computer engineering, so there are no pre-recs. Is there a way to do this using unit conversions?

6. Jan 20, 2016 #5

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Always state your units; chances are the question would be marked wrong without them. Otherwise, it looks OK.

7. Jan 20, 2016 #6

Doc Al

Hint: If the battery delivered a current I, what power would it be delivering?

8. Jan 20, 2016 #7
    Yeah I was thinking about using P=IV, but I'm not sure we can. Can we still use that if we are given current in Amp hours?
    12V battery rated at 35Ah.

9. Jan 20, 2016 #8

Doc Al

Using P = VI is the first step. Now how do you go from power to energy? (Don't plug in numbers yet, just play with the equations symbolically.)

10. Jan 20, 2016 #9
    Oh I see. P=IV will give you units of WattHours and then you just do unit conversions and get it to Joules. Got it! Thanks!

11. Jan 20, 2016 #10

Doc Al

Power will be in units of Watts; if you multiply by the time, then you'll have energy.

12. Jan 20, 2016 #11
    Yeah, that's what I did. P= (12V)(35Ah) =420WattHours*(3600)

13. Jan 20, 2016 #12

Doc Al

Good.

14. Jan 21, 2016 #13
    Ran into another problem. Assume the battery is supplying .5A of current to a light bulb. How long will the battery last? (Battery is 12V rated at 35Ah) I am supposed to use the 35Ah to find the time or do I have to somehow use the .5A. I don' t think there is a way to find how long it will last with just Amps. You need Amp hours to do this right?

15. Jan 21, 2016 #14

Doc Al

You need to use both Amp-Hours and Amps to solve for the time.

16. Jan 21, 2016 #15
    Ok so, I used P=IV to find that the battery supplies 6W. I can do the same thing to find that it provides 420Wh. So can I just use unit conversions to find the hours? 6W/420Wh. Watts cancel and you are left with 1/70h. So 70 hours? Is this correct?

17. Jan 21, 2016 #16

Doc Al

Sure.

All you have to do is realize that the ampere-hours are given so: 35 A-hr = I*T = .5A*T. Solve for T and get 70 hours.

18. Jan 21, 2016 #17
    Can you explain that a bit more? Where did you get the "35 A-hr = I*T = .5A*T." part from

19. Jan 21, 2016 #18

Doc Al

The battery capacity, expressed in terms of Amp-Hours, equals Current*Time. Draw a lower current and the battery can run for a longer time.

20. Jan 21, 2016 #19

Doc Al

35 A-hr = (.5 A)*(70 hr) = (1 A)*(35 hr) = ... etc.

21. Jan 21, 2016 #20
    Ok, that makes sense. More sense than what I did. Is the way I did it a bad way to go about this? I don't know if I would have noticed to use that equation BC=AT on a test or quiz. I was just looking at units and trying to get hours through unit conversion.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted