What is the charge of the 10 billion electrons?

In summary: Think of it as using the definition of Amp-Hours (instead of trying to use units).No, just a bit more work than needed. Don't think of it as "unit conversion" though. Think of it as using the definition of Amp-Hours (instead of trying to use units).In summary, the conversation discusses a simple electric circuit with a battery and lightbulb in series. The question asks for the charge of 10 billion electrons passing through a cross section of the wire. The solution uses the equation Q=Ne, where Q is charge, N is number of electrons, and e is the charge of an electron. The conversation then moves on to discussing the energy stored in the battery, using the equation
Marcin H

Homework Statement

:[/B]
I have a battery and lightbulb circuit (in series). 12V battery rated at 35Ah.

Ten billion electrons pass a planar cross section of the wire. What is the charge of the 10 billion electrons?

Homework Equations

Q=Ne
I=dq/dt
1A=1C/s

The Attempt at a Solution

Is this as simple as using Q=Ne or not? I may be overthinking this, but this doesn't seem right.

Q = Ne
Q=(#electrons)(electron charge)
Q= (1E10)(1.6E-19 C)
Q = 1.6 E -9 C

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Not an advanced physics problem, so moved to Intro Physics

Marcin H said:
Is this as simple as using Q=Ne or not? I may be overthinking this, but this doesn't seem right.
Assuming you have the question right, that's all there is to it. (Get the sign right.)

Likes Marcin H
Doc Al said:
Assuming you have the question right, that's all there is to it. (Get the sign right.)
Ok. Follow up question. How many Joules of energy does the battery I mention store? I would use .5CV^2 or .5QV, but this is what I learned in E&M physics, so I think there is another way. This is EGR 110 intro to electrical and computer engineering, so there are no pre-recs. Is there a way to do this using unit conversions?

Marcin H said:

Homework Statement

:[/B]
I have a battery and lightbulb circuit (in series). 12V battery rated at 35Ah.

Ten billion electrons pass a planar cross section of the wire. What is the charge of the 10 billion electrons?

Homework Equations

Q=Ne
I=dq/dt
1A=1C/s

The Attempt at a Solution

Q = Ne
Q=(#electrons)(electron charge)
Q= (1E10)(1.6E-19)
Q = 1.6 E -9

Always state your units; chances are the question would be marked wrong without them. Otherwise, it looks OK.

Marcin H said:
How many Joules of energy does the battery I mention store?
Hint: If the battery delivered a current I, what power would it be delivering?

Doc Al said:
Hint: If the battery delivered a current I, what power would it be delivering?
Yeah I was thinking about using P=IV, but I'm not sure we can. Can we still use that if we are given current in Amp hours?
12V battery rated at 35Ah.

Marcin H said:
Yeah I was thinking about using P=IV, but I'm not sure we can. Can we still use that if we are given current in Amp hours?
12V battery rated at 35Ah.
Using P = VI is the first step. Now how do you go from power to energy? (Don't plug in numbers yet, just play with the equations symbolically.)

Doc Al said:
Using P = VI is the first step. Now how do you go from power to energy? (Don't plug in numbers yet, just play with the equations symbolically.)
Oh I see. P=IV will give you units of WattHours and then you just do unit conversions and get it to Joules. Got it! Thanks!

Marcin H said:
P=IV will give you units of WattHours
Power will be in units of Watts; if you multiply by the time, then you'll have energy.

Likes Marcin H
Doc Al said:
Power will be in units of Watts; if you multiply by the time, then you'll have energy.
Yeah, that's what I did. P= (12V)(35Ah) =420WattHours*(3600)

Marcin H said:
Yeah, that's what I did. P= (12V)(35Ah) =420WattHours*(3600)
Good.

Doc Al said:
Good.
Ran into another problem. Assume the battery is supplying .5A of current to a light bulb. How long will the battery last? (Battery is 12V rated at 35Ah) I am supposed to use the 35Ah to find the time or do I have to somehow use the .5A. I don' t think there is a way to find how long it will last with just Amps. You need Amp hours to do this right?

Marcin H said:
I am supposed to use the 35Ah to find the time or do I have to somehow use the .5A.
You need to use both Amp-Hours and Amps to solve for the time.

Doc Al said:
You need to use both Amp-Hours and Amps to solve for the time.
Ok so, I used P=IV to find that the battery supplies 6W. I can do the same thing to find that it provides 420Wh. So can I just use unit conversions to find the hours? 6W/420Wh. Watts cancel and you are left with 1/70h. So 70 hours? Is this correct?

Marcin H said:
Ok so, I used P=IV to find that the battery supplies 6W. I can do the same thing to find that it provides 420Wh. So can I just use unit conversions to find the hours? 6W/420Wh. Watts cancel and you are left with 1/70h. So 70 hours? Is this correct?
Sure.

All you have to do is realize that the ampere-hours are given so: 35 A-hr = I*T = .5A*T. Solve for T and get 70 hours.

Doc Al said:
Sure.

All you have to do is realize that the ampere-hours are given so: 35 A-hr = I*T = .5A*T. Solve for T and get 70 hours.
Can you explain that a bit more? Where did you get the "35 A-hr = I*T = .5A*T." part from

The battery capacity, expressed in terms of Amp-Hours, equals Current*Time. Draw a lower current and the battery can run for a longer time.

35 A-hr = (.5 A)*(70 hr) = (1 A)*(35 hr) = ... etc.

Ok, that makes sense. More sense than what I did. Is the way I did it a bad way to go about this? I don't know if I would have noticed to use that equation BC=AT on a test or quiz. I was just looking at units and trying to get hours through unit conversion.

Marcin H said:
Is the way I did it a bad way to go about this?
No, just a bit more work than needed. Don't think of it as "unit conversion" though.

1. What is the basic unit of electric charge?

The basic unit of electric charge is the electron, which has a negative charge of -1.602 x 10^-19 coulombs.

2. How many electrons make up a charge of 10 billion electrons?

A charge of 10 billion electrons is equivalent to -1.602 x 10^-8 coulombs. Therefore, it would take 10 billion electrons to make up this charge.

3. How does the charge of an electron compare to that of a proton?

An electron has a negative charge of -1.602 x 10^-19 coulombs, while a proton has a positive charge of +1.602 x 10^-19 coulombs. This means that the charge of an electron is equal in magnitude but opposite in sign to that of a proton.

4. How is the charge of an electron determined?

The charge of an electron is determined by the amount of force it experiences when placed in an electric field. This is known as the Coulomb force and is expressed by the equation F = qE, where F is the force, q is the charge, and E is the electric field strength.

5. Can the charge of an electron be changed?

The charge of an electron is a fundamental property of the particle and cannot be changed. However, the overall charge of an object can be altered by adding or removing electrons from it.