What is the charge on the droplet?

• Thread starter ally1h
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Charge
In summary, when a small droplet of oil with a mass of 2.00x10^-15 kg is suspended in a region of uniform electric field directed upward with a magnitude E = 6,000 N/C, the charge on the droplet is 3.27x10^-18 C. If the electric field suddenly drops to 0 N/C, the acceleration of the droplet will be equal to gravitational acceleration (9.8 N/kg). The force of gravity and the electric field force must balance out in order for the droplet to be suspended.
ally1h

Homework Statement

A small droplet of oil with a mass of 2.00x10^-15 kg is held suspended in a region of uniform electric field directed upward with a magnitude E = 6,000 N/C.
a) What is the charge on the droplet?
b) Find the acceleration of the droplet if the electric field suddenly dropped to 0 N/C

Homework Equations

E = F/q (for a uniform field)
F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

It sounds like a straight forward question, solve for q. But the droplet being suspended has me confused.

I assume I substitute F=ma into E=F/q to get E=ma/q, but if the droplet is suspended doesn't that mean a=0? And that would make E=0? There's obviously something I'm not understanding. Please help?

Physics news on Phys.org
If it is suspended, then the net force on it is zero, which means that the force due to the electric field completely balances the opposing force due to gravity. I think that's what its getting at :smile:

Ahaaaa.. that would make sense. Then essentially part a is:
E=F/q = mg/q
q = E/mg = (6000 N/C) / (2.00x10^-15 kg)(9.8 N/kg)
q = 3.06x10^17 C

Correct?

And for part b:
if the electric field dropped to 0 N/C would that mean that the acceleration is just equal to gravitational acceleration (9.8 N/kg)?

Id have a look at how you have calculated part (a) again. The charge you calculated is huge, and will result in an electric force in the order of 10^21 N, which is MUCH bigger than the gravitational force.

Are you saying that my equation is incorrect?

Because if it IS correct then I keep coming up with the same answer.. over and over. So am I to believe that my equation is at fault?

ally1h said:
Are you saying that my equation is incorrect?

Because if it IS correct then I keep coming up with the same answer.. over and over. So am I to believe that my equation is at fault?

Yea.

Try drawing a free body diagram of the drop and label all forces acting on it (electric and gravitational). For equilibrium, we should have Fgrav=Felec.

ally1h said:
Ahaaaa.. that would make sense. Then essentially part a is:
E=F/q = mg/q
q = E/mg = (6000 N/C) / (2.00x10^-15 kg)(9.8 N/kg)
q = 3.06x10^17 C

Correct?

And for part b:
if the electric field dropped to 0 N/C would that mean that the acceleration is just equal to gravitational acceleration (9.8 N/kg)?

You messed up when you tried solving for q. You had the equation E = mg/q correct but then when you solved for q you said:
q = E / mg
but it should be:
q = mg / E

If it is suspended then the only forces acting on it are the forces of gravity in the downward direction and the electric field force in the upward direction. They have to balance out, as you said above, to be suspended (in equilibrium).

since force is = qE then so is mg, so mg=qE
(2.00x10^-15 kg)(9.8 N/kg) = q(6000 N/C)
(1.96x10^-14 N) / (6000 N/C) = q
q = 3.27x10^-18 Cyes?

I don't have a calculator right now, but that all looks correct yes.

1. What is the charge on the droplet?

The charge on a droplet is the amount of electric charge, measured in coulombs, that is present on the surface of the droplet. This charge can be either positive or negative, depending on the particles that make up the droplet.

2. How is the charge on a droplet determined?

The charge on a droplet can be determined through various methods such as measuring the droplet's response to an electric field, using a Faraday cup to collect the droplet and measure its charge, or using an electroscope to detect the presence of charge on the droplet.

3. Can the charge on a droplet change?

Yes, the charge on a droplet can change. This can happen through processes such as ionization, where particles are added or removed from the droplet, or through the accumulation of charge through collisions with other particles.

4. What factors can affect the charge on a droplet?

The charge on a droplet can be affected by various factors such as the composition of the droplet, the presence of other particles or ions, temperature, and humidity. These factors can influence the charge distribution on the droplet's surface.

5. Why is it important to know the charge on a droplet?

Knowing the charge on a droplet is important in various fields such as atmospheric science, meteorology, and materials science. It can help us understand the behavior of aerosols, the formation of clouds, and the behavior of particles in different environments.