What is the chemical reaction with copper?

1. Copper + NaCl + H20 = >> ???
    Does anyone have any suggestions on what chemical reaction will occur in above example?
    Thanks in advance for any suggestions

2. jcsd
  3. Borek

Staff: Mentor

Why do you think there will be a reaction?

Please note: if it is a homework, you are breaking forum rules again.

4. This is not a homework, but I would like to know this chemical reaction, that is all.
    Does anyone have any suggestions?

5. Nothing will happen.

6. I am not talking about what happen is within 5 seconds, what happen is on the next 3 months?
    Does anyone have any suggestions?

7. Borek

If the solution is not in contact with air, nothing will happen. If the solution is in contact with air, it will be not a reaction between copper, water and sodium chloride.

8. So what happen if the solution is in contact with air?

9. Borek

10. I actually tried this today, except I also applied approximately a 6V potential to it. I got oxidation of the copper wire I was using and a gas. I am not sure what the gas was. At first I thought it was H2 gas from the water being electrolyzed (which I was trying to do), but there was not enough gas coming out of the positive end for that to be it I do not think. I checked the pH and insofar as litmus paper is accurate, it had remained a neutral solution.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?

Draft saved Draft deleted