What is the Closed Form of a Summation of Sinusoidal Functions?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 11K views
Frillth
Messages
77
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



I am looking for a closed form of the summation:
sin(x) + sin(3x) + sin(5x) + ... + sin((2n-1*)x)

Homework Equations



None.

The Attempt at a Solution



Through a complete stroke of luck, I believe I have arrived at the correct solution: sin^2(nx)/sin(x)
I have tested this for many different cases, and I believe it is correct. However, I am having a hard time proving that it is. Can anybody point me in the right direction?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Seems to me that mathematical induction would be an obvious thing to try...
 
I'm a little rusty on my induction skills. Is this what I need to do?

1. Show that:
sin^2(nx)/sin(x) + sin((2(n+1)-1)x) = sin^2((n+1)x)/sin(x)

2. Show that my formula works for any specific case.
 
You need to show that

[tex]\sum_{n=0} ^N sin(2n-1)x= \frac{sin^2(Nx)}{sinx}[/tex]then add the (N+1)th term to each side and show that is can be written as

[tex]\frac{sin^2((N+1)x)}{sinx}[/tex]
 
Last edited:
I've been trying to get these two sides equal, but I'm not coming up with anything. Which identities should I be using to tackle this problem?