1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: What is the coefficient of friction between surface and the mass?

1. Feb 23, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A mass of 50 kg is kept in uniform motion along a horizontal surface by a horizontal force of 4.08x10^6 dynes. What is the coefficient of friction between surface and the mass?

2. Relevant equations
    (I searched previous answered questions and found this)
    Ff= u * mg

3. The attempt at a solution
    Our teacher hasn't actually started with our friction topic yet, but she always makes us do these assignments beforehand so we come "prepared" to her lectures. But I have no idea how to start. So I tried this, but I think it's incorrect.

4.08 x 10 ^ 6 dyn / (50 kg * 9.8 m/s^2) = 8326.531

Coefficients aren't supposed to be that big, right? So I tried converting. This is really embarrassing, but I'm not familiar with dyn so I had to look for its conversion factor to meters.

40.8 m / (50000 g * 9.8 m/s^2) = 8.32 x 10 ^-5

Even just clearing out the dyn thing would be great. I mean, if the values I used are correct? :) Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 23, 2010 #2

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

Hi yss83, welcome to PF.
    Convert dyne to newton.
    Keep mass in kg, and g in m/s^2.
    Now find u.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook