What is the coefficient of friction between surface and the mass?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
yss83
Messages
1
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A mass of 50 kg is kept in uniform motion along a horizontal surface by a horizontal force of 4.08x10^6 dynes. What is the coefficient of friction between surface and the mass?


Homework Equations


(I searched previous answered questions and found this)
Ff= u * mg


The Attempt at a Solution


Our teacher hasn't actually started with our friction topic yet, but she always makes us do these assignments beforehand so we come "prepared" to her lectures. But I have no idea how to start. So I tried this, but I think it's incorrect.

4.08 x 10 ^ 6 dyn / (50 kg * 9.8 m/s^2) = 8326.531

Coefficients aren't supposed to be that big, right? So I tried converting. This is really embarrassing, but I'm not familiar with dyn so I had to look for its conversion factor to meters.

40.8 m / (50000 g * 9.8 m/s^2) = 8.32 x 10 ^-5

Even just clearing out the dyn thing would be great. I mean, if the values I used are correct? :) Thanks.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi yss83, welcome to PF.
Convert dyne to Newton.
Keep mass in kg, and g in m/s^2.
Now find u.