What Is the Correct Charge to Use for Calculating Electric Flux in a Torus?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 9K views
jincy34
Messages
19
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



What is the net electric flux through the the torus if a=-6 nC and b=60 nC ?


Homework Equations



Electric flux=Qin/E

The Attempt at a Solution



I solved with Qin being 6*10^-9 C as it is the charge inside and E0=8.85*10^-12. I got 678 for electric flux. But it is wrong.
 
Attachments
  • 20081211240316333651603118237509791.jpg
    20081211240316333651603118237509791.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 892
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]\epsilon_0 = 8.85*10^{-12}[/tex] not [tex]8.85*10^{-9}[/tex].

This may be your problem. If it is not, show your work and we may be able to give you more in depth help.
 
I put the right value for E0. But, I am not sure if the charge I am using is right or not. Is the charge inside 60nC, 6nC or net charge?
 
Last edited:
jincy34 said:
I put the right value for E0. But, I am not sure if the charge I am using is right or not. Is the charge inside 60nC, 6nC or net charge?

Is the +60nC charge contained inside the surface of the solenoid?