What is the correct solution to \int_{0}^{-2} (9 f(x)- 2)dx?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
Wm_Davies
Messages
51
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Let
[tex]\int_{-4}^{2} f(x) dx =9, \int_{-4}^{-2} f(x) dx=2, \int_{0}^{2} f(x)dx =3[/tex]

Find (I have solved this one)
[tex]\int_{-2}^{0} f(x)dx= 4[/tex]

Find
[tex]\int_{0}^{-2} (9 f(x)- 2)dx= ?[/tex]


Homework Equations



[tex]\int_{a}^{b} f(x) dx = F(b) - F(a)[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution



I don't see where I am doing something wrong.

[tex]\int_{0}^{-2} (9 f(x)- 2)dx[/tex]

[tex]-\int_{-2}^{0} (9 f(x)- 2)dx[/tex]

Using the fundamental theorem of calculus.
b=0
a=-2

-[(9b(4) - 2b) - (9a(4) - 2a)]
-[(0(4) - 0) - (9(-2)(4) - 2(-2))]

Solving for that I get

-[-(-72+4)]
-[-(-68)]

Therfore I figure that

[tex]\int_{0}^{-2} (9 f(x)- 2)dx= -68[/tex]

However the electronic homework says it is incorrect, but why?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
may be easier to see if you write it out as
[tex]\int_{0}^{-2} (9 f(x)- 2)dx[/tex]

[tex]=-\int_{-2}^{0} (9 f(x)- 2)dx[/tex]

[tex]=-9\int_{-2}^{0} f(x)dx+\int_{-2}^{0} 2dx[/tex]
 
lanedance said:
may be easier to see if you write it out as

Ahah, integration properties! Thank you.