What is the correct way to calculate percent increase in math problems?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the percentage increase of a number from 108.7 to 113.7. The correct method is to take the difference between the two numbers and divide it by the original number, then multiply by 100. The first attempt of dividing the larger number by the smaller number is incorrect. The conversation also explains the logic behind this method.
TSN79
Can someone explain to me the following:
If a number increases from 108,7 to 113,7 how much in percent has it increased?

First I tried to do 108,7 / 113,7 = 0,956.
1 - 0,956 = 0,0439. In other words, an increase of 4,39%. This turns out to be wrong. 113,7 / 108,7 = 1,0459 -> an increase of 4,59% is correct, but I fail to see the logic in that the last approach is correct. What am I actually calculating in my first try?

Physics news on Phys.org
In your first try you're finding that 108.7 is 0.956*100 = 95.6% out of 113.7.

Look at the increase from 108.7 to 113.7, it's a increase by 5 units. (113.7-108.7). Now, if we want to find how many % 5 is out of 108.7, we do (5/108.7)*100 = 4.59%. So, in general:
If a number increases from a to b, how many percent did it increase?
Answer:
[(b-a)/a]*100%

Aha, thanks a lot Karlsen!

Always nice to help a fellow citizen.

Related to What is the correct way to calculate percent increase in math problems?

What is a percent increase problem?

A percent increase problem is a type of math problem that involves finding the percentage increase or decrease of a given value. It typically involves comparing an original value to a new, increased value.

How do I calculate the percent increase?

To calculate the percent increase, you can use the following formula: percent increase = (new value - original value) / original value x 100. This will give you the percentage increase as a decimal, which you can then convert to a percentage by multiplying by 100.

What is the difference between a percent increase and a percent decrease?

A percent increase represents an increase in value, while a percent decrease represents a decrease in value. In both cases, the percentage is calculated by comparing the original value to the new value.

Can a percent increase be greater than 100%?

Yes, a percent increase can be greater than 100%. This means that the new value is more than double the original value. For example, if the original value is 10 and the new value is 25, the percent increase would be 150%.

How can percent increase problems be applied in real life?

Percent increase problems are commonly used in economics, finance, and marketing to track changes in prices, sales, and profits. They are also used in science and engineering to calculate changes in measurements and quantities. In everyday life, you may encounter percent increase problems when comparing prices at a store or calculating tips and discounts.