What is the definition of changed point in geomatics?

• Thread starter chetzread
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of a "changed point" and its definition, with one source defining it as a stable and well-defined location, while another source defines it as a point of measurement used in surveying. The conversation also briefly mentions the possibility of asking about it in a physics forum, but ultimately decides to post in an engineering schoolwork forum.
chetzread

Homework Statement

According to my notes , changed point is
•Location of the staff when the level is moved. Changed point should be
–Stable,
–Well defined
but , in another online notes , changed point is defined as points of measurement which are used to carry the measurements forward in a run. Each one will be read first as a foresight, the instrument position is changed, and then it will be read as a backsight.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

so , what is changed point ? it is the location of staff or location of level ( i am not sure what is level here, but i think it should be the measuring device)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Is this in relation to a particular figure or problem? I think you need to place it in some context.

Something to do with a position transducer?

It sounds like it's related to surveying.

Likes chetzread
gneill said:
It sounds like it's related to surveying.
Can i ask this in physics forum ? i am not sure though. Sorry

chetzread said:
Can i ask this in physics forum ? i am not sure though. Sorry
No worries, I'll move it to the Engineering schoolwork forum -- EDIT -- Oh wait, it's already there...

LOL, when I first read your post, I thought you were asking about a "charged point", not a "change point". Boy was I confused! o0)

Bump

Related to What is the definition of changed point in geomatics?

1. What is the definition of changed point in geomatics?

A changed point in geomatics refers to a location or coordinate on the Earth's surface that has undergone a change in its physical or spatial characteristics. This could include changes in elevation, land use, infrastructure, or any other feature that can be represented spatially.

2. How is a changed point identified in geomatics?

In geomatics, a changed point is typically identified through the use of spatial data analysis techniques, such as remote sensing, GIS, or surveying. These methods allow for the comparison of different datasets over time to identify any differences or changes in the physical characteristics of a point.

3. What factors can cause a point to change in geomatics?

There are a variety of factors that can cause a point to change in geomatics. These can include natural processes such as erosion, weathering, and vegetation growth, as well as human activities such as urbanization, deforestation, and infrastructure development.

4. Why is understanding changed points important in geomatics?

Understanding changed points is important in geomatics because it allows for the monitoring and analysis of changes on the Earth's surface. This information can be used for various purposes, such as land management, environmental monitoring, and disaster response.

5. Can changed points be reversed in geomatics?

In some cases, changes to a point in geomatics can be reversed. For example, if a building is constructed on a previously empty lot, it may be possible to demolish the building and restore the lot to its original state. However, some changes may be irreversible, such as changes to the natural landscape due to climate change or human activities.