lucifer_x Messages 15 Reaction score 0 Thread starter Sep 21, 2008 #1 how would i write the depressed polynomial for the obvious root of f(x) = x5 - .5x4 - 5.5x3 - 3.5x2 - 6.5x - 3
how would i write the depressed polynomial for the obvious root of f(x) = x5 - .5x4 - 5.5x3 - 3.5x2 - 6.5x - 3
HallsofIvy Science Advisor Homework Helper Messages 42,895 Reaction score 983 Sep 21, 2008 #2 I am afraid you are going to have to define the term "depressed polynomial". I confess I don't recognize it. (Which makes me depressed!). I will also confess that I don't, offhand, see an "obvious" root to that polynomial!
I am afraid you are going to have to define the term "depressed polynomial". I confess I don't recognize it. (Which makes me depressed!). I will also confess that I don't, offhand, see an "obvious" root to that polynomial!
NoMoreExams Messages 619 Reaction score 0 Sep 21, 2008 #3 Use rational roots theorem, you only have 4 roots to try.