What is the Derivation for Pressure at the Centre of a Star?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 5K views
Brewer
Messages
203
Reaction score
0
I've been asked to derive the pressure at the centre of a star (well show that it is (Gm^2)/(8*pi*R^4).)

I've worked it through as follows:

Pressure = force/area

f=G*m^2/R^2

surface area = 4*pi*R^2

and then I put the two formulas together but as you can see I only have a 4 on the bottom instead of 8. Have I missed something clearly obvious here?

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
 
Physics news on Phys.org
If you're looking for the pressure at the center of the star why are you using the force and area at the surface of the star?
 
Because I couldn't think of another way to do it - it seemed logical to me when the equation I had to get has both the radius and mass of the star. Am I totally lost?