Show that diagonal entries of a skew symmetric matrix are zero.

In summary, a matrix is skew symmetric if its transpose is equal to negative itself. This means that if A = a(i,j), then a(j,i) = -a(i,j). By considering diagonal entries, we can conclude that all the diagonal entries of a skew symmetric matrix must be 0. This serves as a valid proof for the statement.
inknit
I'm pretty inexperienced in proof writing. So not sure if this was valid.

If a matrix is skew symmetric then A^T = - A, that is the transpose of A is equal to negative A.

This implies that if A = a(i,j), then a(j,i) = -a(i,j). If we're referring to diagonal entries, we can say a(j,j) = -a(j,j). The only way for this to be true is if a(j,j) = 0. So therefore all the diagonal entries of a skew symmetric matrix are 0.

Is this good enough?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think it would work as a valid proof.

inknit said:

If a matrix is skew symmetric then A^T = - A, that is the transpose of A is equal to negative A.

This implies that if A = a(i,j), then a(j,i) = -a(i,j). If we're referring to diagonal entries, we can say a(j,j) = -a(j,j). The only way for this to be true is if a(j,j) = 0. So therefore all the diagonal entries of a skew symmetric matrix are 0.

Is this good enough?

Thanks.

It's great. Thanks!

inknit said:

This implies that if A = a(i,j), then a(j,i) = -a(i,j). If we're referring to diagonal entries, we can say a(j,j) = -a(j,j).

The only way for this to be true is if a(j,j) = 0.
A touch better than just saying that would be to note that if a(j,j)= -a(j, j) then (adding a(j,j) to both sides) 2a(j,j)= 0 so (dividing both sides by 2) a(j,j)= 0.

So therefore all the diagonal entries of a skew symmetric matrix are 0.

Is this good enough?

Thanks.

1. What is a skew symmetric matrix?

A skew symmetric matrix is a square matrix in which the elements below the main diagonal are the negatives of the elements above the main diagonal. In other words, for any element in the matrix at row i and column j, the element at row j and column i is its negative.

2. How do you show that the diagonal entries of a skew symmetric matrix are zero?

To show that the diagonal entries of a skew symmetric matrix are zero, we can use the definition of a skew symmetric matrix and the fact that the diagonal elements are the elements at row i and column i. Therefore, for any element aii, its negative would also be aii, leading to aii = -aii. Since a number cannot be equal to its negative, the only possible solution is if aii = 0, making all diagonal entries zero.

3. Why is it important to prove that the diagonal entries of a skew symmetric matrix are zero?

It is important to prove that the diagonal entries of a skew symmetric matrix are zero because it is a fundamental property of skew symmetric matrices. This property helps us to identify and classify matrices, and is also used in various applications such as in physics and engineering.

4. Can a skew symmetric matrix have non-zero diagonal entries?

No, a skew symmetric matrix cannot have non-zero diagonal entries. As mentioned earlier, the definition of a skew symmetric matrix requires the diagonal elements to be the negatives of each other, making it impossible for the diagonal entries to have non-zero values.

5. What other properties do skew symmetric matrices have?

Some other properties of skew symmetric matrices include:

• The sum of two skew symmetric matrices is also a skew symmetric matrix.
  • The product of a scalar and a skew symmetric matrix is also a skew symmetric matrix.
  • The determinant of a skew symmetric matrix is either zero or a negative number.
  • The inverse of a skew symmetric matrix is also a skew symmetric matrix.