What is the derivative of ln(x^2 + y^2)?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 8K views
fk378
Messages
366
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Find y'

y=ln(x^2 + y^2)

Homework Equations


d/dx ln(u)= 1/u du/dx

The Attempt at a Solution



y' = [1/(x^2 + y^2)] (2x + 2y)
y' = (2x+2y)/(x^2 + y^2)

But my book says the answer is 2x/(x^2 + y^2 - 2y)

How can that be?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You need to be differentiating the y on the right hand side of the equation when you take the derivative of the entire equation.
 
Are you saying my first step should be:
dy/dx = (1/x^2 + y^2) [2x+2y(dy/dx)]
 
yes

this problem must be solved by implicit differentiation
 
I don't understand what the 2nd step would be though. So I have dy/dx on both sides, but isn't dy/dx what I want to solve for? Wouldn't they cancel each other out?
 
No, they won't cancel because one is multiplied by [itex][2y/(x^2+ y^2)][/itex]
(Please, don't write [itex]1/x^2+ y^2[/itex]! That's a completely different value).

Solve your equation for dy/dx.