What is the distance AB across the lake using given data?

• MHB
  • Thread starter xyz_1965
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lake
In summary, the distance across a lake can vary depending on its size and shape, ranging from a few hundred feet to several miles. It is commonly measured using a map, GPS device, measuring wheel, or boat with a calibrated odometer. The distance can change over time due to natural factors and human activities, and can also vary at different points due to the lake's topography. Knowing the distance across a lake is important for navigation, recreation, scientific research, and resource management. It can also provide valuable information for understanding the lake's ecological and economic value.
xyz_1965
Determine the distance AB across a lake using the following data: AC = 400 m, angle C = 90°, and angle CAB = 40°. Round the answer to the nearest meter.

Solution:

I say AB = 400/[Cos 40] = 522 meters

I then know the distance AB across the lake = 522 meters.

I timed myself for this one. I did it in 5 minutes.

Is any of this right?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Yes, that is correct. Well done!

1. What is the distance across the lake?

The distance across the lake is the measurement from one side of the lake to the other, typically measured in units such as meters, kilometers, or miles.

2. How is the distance across the lake measured?

The distance across the lake can be measured using various methods such as using a measuring tape, a GPS device, or by using mathematical calculations based on known distances and angles.

3. Why is the distance across the lake important?

The distance across the lake is important for various reasons, such as determining the size and shape of the lake, planning for activities such as boating or swimming, and for scientific research purposes.

4. Can the distance across the lake change over time?

Yes, the distance across the lake can change over time due to natural processes such as erosion, sedimentation, or human activities such as dredging or construction.

5. Is the distance across the lake the same at all points?

No, the distance across the lake may vary at different points due to the shape and depth of the lake, as well as any obstacles or irregularities in the lake's surface.