What is the Distance d in Snell's Law and the Pythagorean Theorem?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
h20proof
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
In the following diagram find the distance d if a=4.0 mm, Θ=30°

n_asinΘ_a=n_bsinΘ_b: snells law
a^2+b^2=c^2: pythagorean theorem

I think I got the angle to the problem correct. I am not sure if this is correct. Is this correct Θ_b=sin^-1(1sin30/1.52)?
 
Attachments
  • 20140412_170009.jpg
    20140412_170009.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 386
  • 20140412_170156.jpg
    20140412_170156.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 424
Physics news on Phys.org
That will give you the internal angle.

You are apparently required to find the offset distance, d, of the emergent ray.
 
h20proof said:
thank you. How do you find it?
Using geometry. Specifically, the geometry of right-angled triangles.

You start by drawing a large clear diagram, and using a straight-edge to make all your straight lines look straight. Any lines you draw can be made into a side of a right-angled triangle.
 
h20proof said:
okay, I still don't see it.
Where's your diagram?