What Is the Distance the Block Travels Through the Air?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 5K views
rocapp
Messages
95
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


The spring in the figure has a spring constant of 1400N/m . It is compressed 16.0cm , then launches a 200g block. The horizontal surface is frictionless, but the block's coefficient of kinetic friction on the incline is 0.210.

FIGURE ATTACHED

What distance d does the block sail through the air?


Correct answer: 13.4 m

Homework Equations



F(spring)=-kx
F(friction)=μf*FN
Work=Fdcos(θ)
Work=(0.5mv22)-(0.5mv12)

The Attempt at a Solution



F(spring)=(-1400 N/m)(0.16 m)= 224 N

F(friction)=(0.210)(cos(45))(0.2)(9.8)= 0.29 N

224-0.29= 223.71

Work=223.71d
Work=(0.5)(0.2)(?)-(0.5)(0.2)(?)


I think that I should be finding the work and then find distance by dividing by the force. However, I'm not sure how to find the two velocities.
 
Attachments
  • knight_Figure_11_72.jpg
    knight_Figure_11_72.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 577
Physics news on Phys.org
hi rocapp! :smile:
rocapp said:
I think that I should be finding the work and then find distance by dividing by the force. However, I'm not sure how to find the two velocities.

you can't find d from work or energy, you'll need the usual projectile equations

to find the initial speed (just before d), use the work-energy method that you have been using (with the block starting with zero speed), but use gravity also :wink: