What is the Efficiency of an Ideal Gas Engine?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 5K views
SonOfOle
Messages
41
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


An ideal gas engine that works according to the following cycle.
2652160531_9135b3c55b_m.jpg


Find the efficiency of this engine assuming that the heat capacities of the gas may be taken to be constant. Recall that the efficiency may be defined as:
[tex]\eta = \frac{Net work done over full cycle}{Heat absorbed along an isotherm}[/tex]

Express your answer in terms of the volumes [tex]V_1[/tex] and [tex]V_2[/tex] and the pressures [tex]P_1[/tex] and [tex]P_2[/tex] and the heat capacities at constant pressure and volume [tex]C_p[/tex] and [tex]C_v[/tex].

Homework Equations


[tex]W = \int P dV[/tex]
[tex]P V = N kB T[/tex]
[tex]C_v = 3N k_b /2[/tex]
[tex]C_p = 5N k_b /2[/tex]


The Attempt at a Solution



[tex]\eta = \frac{W}{Q} = \frac {W_a + W_b + W_c}{Q_c}[/tex]
[tex]W_a = P_2 (V_2 - V_1)[/tex]
[tex]W_b = 0[/tex]
[tex]W_c = \int^{V_1}_{V_2} P dV = \int^{V_1}_{V_2} \frac{N k_b T}{V} dV = N k_b T ln (V_1 / V_2)[/tex]
To find [tex]Q_c[/tex], recall [tex]U = Q + W[/tex] and [tex]U=(3/2)N k_b T[/tex] which is constant on an isotherm. So [tex]Q_c=-W_c= -N k_b T ln (V_1 / V_2)[/tex]

Thus, by the equation of the efficiency,

[tex]\eta = \frac{N k_b T ln (V_1 / V_2)+P_2 (V_2 - V_1)}{-P_2 (V_2 - V_1)}[/tex]

However, I'm not sure if all my assumptions above are valid, and I don't see how the above could be put in terms of [tex]C_v[/tex] and [tex]C_p[/tex], since there's no relation between them and the temperature.

Any help is appreciated.

(So you know, I'm studying for a qualification exam this fall in graduate school. These problems are from past exams that they've given us to help study. I've been out of the physics world for a year and a half, so this stuff comes back slowly sometimes. I appreciate everyone who has responded so far to my questions.)
 
Physics news on Phys.org
SonOfOle said:

Homework Statement


An ideal gas engine that works according to the following cycle.
2652160531_9135b3c55b_m.jpg


Find the efficiency of this engine assuming that the heat capacities of the gas may be taken to be constant. Recall that the efficiency may be defined as:
[tex]\eta = \frac{Net work done over full cycle}{Heat absorbed along an isotherm}[/tex]
Where did you get this definition from? Efficiency is:

[tex]\eta = \frac{W}{Q_h}[/tex]

where W is the net work done per cycle and [itex]Q_h[/itex] is the heat absorbed from the hot reservoir. Since [itex]W = Q_h - Q_c[/itex] as there is no change in U in one complete cycle, you can replace the denominator with [itex]W + Q_c[/itex]. In this case, heat is absorbed in parts b and c of the cycle and released to the cold reservoir in a.

The Attempt at a Solution



[tex]\eta = \frac{W}{Q} = \frac {W_a + W_b + W_c}{Q_c}[/tex]

This should be:

[tex]\eta = \frac{W}{Q_h} = \frac {|W_b| + |W_c| - |W_a| }{Q_h}[/tex]

[tex]W_a = P_2 (V_2 - V_1)[/tex]
This is a negative value since work is being done ON the system (ie should be:

[tex]W_a = P_2 (V_1 - V_2)[/tex]

[tex]W_b = 0[/tex]
[tex]W_c = \int^{V_1}_{V_2} P dV = \int^{V_1}_{V_2} \frac{N k_b T}{V} dV = N k_b T ln (V_1 / V_2)[/tex]
Correct.

To work out the heat flow into the cold reservoir (part b) you should recognize that heat flows at constant pressure so:

[tex]Q_c = nC_p\Delta T[/tex]

You will have to work out the temperature change, which is simple to do.

AM
 
Andrew Mason said:
Where did you get this definition from? Efficiency is:

[tex]\eta = \frac{W}{Q_h}[/tex]

where W is the net work done per cycle and [itex]Q_h[/itex] is the heat absorbed from the hot reservoir.

Good question Andrew. Interestingly enough, it's verbatim on the graduate entrance exam for a state university. I was wondering about it myself, but that's why I asked here. Thanks, I think with your help I can solve the problem.
 
SonOfOle said:
Good question Andrew. Interestingly enough, it's verbatim on the graduate entrance exam for a state university. I was wondering about it myself, but that's why I asked here. Thanks, I think with your help I can solve the problem.

Someone may be confusing coefficient of performance of a refrigerator with efficiency of a heat engine. They are quite different. COP of a refrigerator is W(input)/Qc

Incidentally, I had the volumes backward in my mind so ignore my comment that Wa = P2(V1-V2). You had it right.

AM
 
Andrew Mason said:
Incidentally, I had the volumes backward in my mind so ignore my comment that Wa = P2(V1-V2). You had it right.

I had to double check my work, but I had convinced myself that you were mistaken. Thanks for letting me know though.

Here's the solution I worked out.

[tex]\eta = \frac{W_{total}}{Q_{hot}} = \frac{W_a+W_b + W_c}{W_{total}+Q_{cold}} = \frac{-P_2 (V_1 -V_2)+ 0 + nRT ln(V_1 / V_2)}{-P_2 (V_1 -V_2)+ 0 + nRT ln(V_1 / V_2)+Q_{a}}[/tex]

where [tex]Q_a = n C_p \Delta T = n C_p (T-P_2 V_2 /(nR)) = C_p (n T - P_2 V_2 /R)[/tex]

so [tex]\eta = \frac{-P_2 (V_1 -V_2) + nRT ln(V_1 / V_2)}{-P_2 (V_1 -V_2) + nRT ln(V_1 / V_2)+C_p (n T - P_2 V_2 /R)}[/tex].

Which can be re-written

[tex]\eta = \frac{- (V_1 -V_2) + ( V_1) ln(V_1 / V_2)}{( V_1) ln(V_1 / V_2)+(C_p/R - 1) (V_1- V_2 )}[/tex]

Howabout that... no explicit P2 dependence. That answer, though, doesn't fit well with what the problem asked for. It may just be a poorly asked question (as the [tex]\eta[/tex] definition they gave already showed).