1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the electric field amplitude 2m from the source

1. Jan 19, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A 60 W monochromatic point source is radiating equally in all diresctions in a vacum. What is the electric field amplitude 2m from the source.

2. Relevant equations
    Intensity=Power/(4*Pi*r^2), Intensity proportional to square Amplitude

3. The attempt at a solution
    I=1.19 Wm-2 what happens next?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 21, 2007 #2

Meir Achuz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Use I=(1/2)\epsilonzero c E^2.
  4. Jan 25, 2007 #3
    Desperate semi related question. If you have a graph of log intensity against log of (voltage across an LDR in a potential divider circuit)
    how do you explain the relationship if your resultant is a straight line of -1.7 obviously in the form of y=mx+c
    Log(y)= nlog(x) + logm where y is intensity and x is voltage n being -1.7 and logm being y intercept.
    im trying to explain the relationship between the two quantities and ... im stuck if anyone can help me i would very much appreciate it...
  5. Jan 26, 2007 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Welcome to PF, hopeless blonde. In future, however, please don't hijack another person's thread with your own question-- instead, start a new thread in the relevant homework section.

With regard to your question, you have an equation of the form logy=nlogx+logm. Now, nlogx can be expressed as log(xn). Do you know a rule for loga+logb?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?