1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the electric flux through the hemispherical surface?

1. Aug 31, 2006 #1
    A uniform field E is parallel to the axis of a hollow hemisphere of radius R. a) What is the electric flux through the hemispherical surface? b) What is the result if E is instead perpendicular to the axis?

Here is what I've interpretted so far. If the field is parallel to the surface, then the electric flux = EA cos(theta). With the angle being 0, I came up with the answer as just EA Therefore that is my answer on part a).

On part b) if the field is perpendicular then the electric flux is just = EA, therefore making that my answer. But I know this isn't right. What step am I missing? Thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 31, 2006 #2

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Well the field is certainly not parallel to the surface in both cases. You'll have to evaluate the surface integral

[tex]\Phi_E=\int\vec{E}\cdot \hat{n}da[/tex]

where [itex]\hat{n}[/itex] is the unit vector parallel to the surface element da.

Hint: If you chose a coordinate system in which the origin is on the center of the hollow sphere and in which the z-axis IS the axis of the hollow hemisphere, then what are [itex]\vec{E}[/itex] and [itex]\hat{n}[/itex]?

Last edited: Aug 31, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?