What is the electron and beta rays?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concepts of electrons and beta rays. An electron is a particle that orbits the nucleus of an atom, while beta rays are a form of beta decay that give rise to electrons and positrons. The conversation also mentions the similarity and difference between electrons and beta rays.
samar
Hello,

I have got a assignment... there is a question what is the electron and beta rays? i have searched a lot but i cannot undersatnd it..can someone please explain me..I shall be thankful to you..

regards,
samar

Physics news on Phys.org
Electron is a part of atom. A particle that "orbits" nucleus made out of protons and neutrons. vis: http://www.eskom.co.za/nuclear_energy/fuel/atom.jpg [Broken]
Beta radiation is a bunch of beta particles (high energy electron or positron - the anti-electron) created in beta decay. Such as in nuclear reactor.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to PF!

hi samar! Welcome to PF! :smile:

A very good place to look for things is wikipedia.

Just go the the homepage, and type the word or phrase you want into the search box:

If your still having trouble, post the entire question. We'll have more to work with.

thank you very much for replying...i have one more question
what is the similarity between electron and beta rays?
reagards,
samar

Hi samar :smile:

"There are two forms of beta decay, β− and β+, which respectively give rise to the electron and the positron."

For more, of course, see the full article! :smile:

thanx a lot it gave me a lot of help

just one more question:)

actually that time i want to ask the difference between both of electron and beta rays?

1. What is an electron?

An electron is a subatomic particle that carries a negative charge and orbits around the nucleus of an atom. It was discovered in 1897 by J.J. Thomson through his experiments with cathode rays.

2. How does an electron behave?

Electrons exhibit both wave-like and particle-like behaviors. They can behave like particles as they move through space and interact with other particles, but they also have a wavelength and can exhibit interference patterns.

3. What is the charge of an electron?

The charge of an electron is -1.602 x 10^-19 coulombs, which is considered the basic unit of negative electric charge.

4. What are beta rays?

Beta rays, also known as beta particles, are high-energy, high-speed electrons or positrons emitted from the nucleus of an atom during radioactive decay. They can also be produced in particle accelerators.

5. How do beta rays differ from other types of radiation?

Beta rays have a lower penetrating power compared to alpha or gamma rays, meaning they can be stopped by a thin sheet of metal or even a few centimeters of air. They also have a higher ionizing power, meaning they can cause more damage to living cells.