What is the Escape Velocity of a Satellite in Orbit?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
mike91
Messages
6
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A satellite is in orbit around a planet with orbital speed determined to be 7080 m/s. Find the escape velocity from the planet from this position of its orbit.


Homework Equations


EV=sqrt(2GM/r)


The Attempt at a Solution


With a problem like this, I would just plug in the mass of the planet and its radius, but they aren't given in the statement, and nor is the satellite's position. It seems like I don't have enough information, but I'm likely missing one relevant formula. I've scanned my notes and can't find a solution - just a push in the right direction would be much appreciated.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The orbital speed is given. How is it related to the radius of the orbit and the mass of the planet?

How would you get the escape velocity from a distance R from the centre of the planet of mass M?

ehild
 
So since the satellite is likely much less massive than the planet it is orbiting, the orbital speed can be written as
v_o=sqrt(GM/r)..
EV = sqrt(2GM/r), so I can rewrite that as sqrt(GM/r) = EV/sqrt(2) and I get
v_o = EV/(sqrt(2)).
I have v_o = 7080, so solving for EV I get EV = sqrt(2)*v_o, or EV = 1.00*10^4. Aannd that's right, thanks for the help!