What is the essential elements of being a mathematician

In summary, there is no one essential element of being a mathematician. However, some key qualities include an attention to detail, precision in statements, and the ability to abstract known ideas. Participating in olympiads is not necessary to be a good mathematician, but it may indicate a strong interest and dedication to the subject. The purpose of olympiads is debated, with some viewing it as a branch of math and others seeing it as a measurement of mathematical ability. Additionally, the ability to visualize mathematical phenomena and translate physical phenomena into mathematical equations are important skills for mathematicians. However, visualization may vary depending on the specific area of mathematics and may involve some form of intuition or techniques.
henry407
I just want to know, what are the essential elements of being a mathematician? Because I want to decide whether I am better to study physics or mathematics in the University.
I knew that a lots of people learn mathematic olympiads and got a good result in the competition, but I am not the people who got good result in the competition. I just want to know is result of those kind of competitions represent the future of being a mathematician?
and are those people always got a better result in exams of university?

Physics news on Phys.org
henry407 said:
I just want to know, what are the essential elements of being a mathematician? Because I want to decide whether I am better to study physics or mathematics in the University.
I knew that a lots of people learn mathematic olympiads and got a good result in the competition, but I am not the people who got good result in the competition. I just want to know is result of those kind of competitions represent the future of being a mathematician?
and are those people always got a better result in exams of university?

No, olympiads are not necessary to be a good mathematician. Sure, people who do good at an international olympiad will probably also do good at math exams, but it's neither necessary nor sufficient.

Essential elements of a mathematician is going into details (finding out exactly why something is true), being extremely precise about statements and liking to abstract known ideas.

I met a guy with a PhD in mathematics from Cambridge. He said that he never got higher than a bronze certificate in the UKMT, but other people who worked at the faculty told me that he was an extremely proficient and talented mathematician. I do not think olympiads are the only indicator of mathematical ability and competence.

Olympiads are an indicator that one cares enough about a given subject and bothered to go into a competition for it. Or maybe one was just bored. :D
[etc]

micromass said:
No, olympiads are not necessary to be a good mathematician. Sure, people who do good at an international olympiad will probably also do good at math exams, but it's neither necessary nor sufficient.

Essential elements of a mathematician is going into details (finding out exactly why something is true), being extremely precise about statements and liking to abstract known ideas.

but I think olympiads always study into very details, and all way of solving the problem is always abstract. So, could you tell me what exactly is the idea and proposes of olypiad, because some of my teachers said olympliad is a branch of math, and some said it equals to the ability of your mathematics, so who is right and who is wrong? (I could study high level mathematics easily but not MO, why??)

curiosity, creativity, persistence. (I am a mathematician.)

1) Being able to look at physical phenomena and translate it into a mathematical equation.
2) Being able to visual mathematical phenomena

Bio-Hazard said:
1) Being able to look at physical phenomena and translate it into a mathematical equation.
2) Being able to visual mathematical phenomena

Although 1) is often a side effect of doing mathematics, I don't think it is actually necessary, is it? Especially not for mathematics that is pure as the driven snow?

Also, as per 2): how do you visualize objects in an infinitary logic or a large cardinal, or the least set of axioms that can be used to prove a theorem? I suppose you visualize the syntax, but some areas of mathematics are significantly more syntactic than others, so geometric intuition doesn't really apply.**

**Though I recall reading about some work being done in the visualization of logics and syntax, loosely based on some of the ideas of C.S. Peirce.

Bourbaki1123 said:
Although 1) is often a side effect of doing mathematics, I don't think it is actually necessary, is it? Especially not for mathematics that is pure as the driven snow?

Also, as per 2): how do you visualize objects in an infinitary logic or a large cardinal, or the least set of axioms that can be used to prove a theorem? I suppose you visualize the syntax, but some areas of mathematics are significantly more syntactic than others, so geometric intuition doesn't really apply.**

**Though I recall reading about some work being done in the visualization of logics and syntax, loosely based on some of the ideas of C.S. Peirce.

I can visualize things like large cardinals... I can't tell you how I visualize it, but I tend to do such things quite easily...

micromass said:
I can visualize things like large cardinals... I can't tell you how I visualize it, but I tend to do such things quite easily...

So then the question becomes "what are you actually visualizing?" Just so we're clear on terminology (I think we probably are, but it's good to be certain), I'm talking about inaccessible cardinals, not Aleph null or Aleph 1 or other limit cardinals.

I'm not sure what it even means to "visualize" a cardinal, given that it's an element in an ordering of measures of ordinals. Visualizing computable fragments of a set of some cardinality is standard, we all do that when we think about analytic geometry (all that is needed to visually approximate a smooth surface is a rough computable approximation), but I assume this is not what you mean.

Whatever your brain is doing is -very probably- computable, so it's working recursively and whatever it's doing is -very probably- not involving any -actual- infinite sets, so there is some sort of trick of intuition at play, using some sort of visualization techniques to facilitate reasoning. Whether or not you can successfully communicate your visualization techniques is another matter, but I would be very interested in your explanation if you would be willing to give one; it can't hurt to have another heuristic! :smile:

ome of my teachers said olympliad is a branch of math, and some said it equals to the ability of your mathematics, so who is right and who is wrong?

Olympiads are about problem-solving. That involves creativity and knowledge and speed of thought.

To do mathematics professionally, these are MAJOR pluses. This is why there are plenty of international olympiad winners who do well at research mathematics.

However, research also involves continually updating on what's going on in the math world, formulating interesting questions yourself, having the discipline to read all the necessary literature, and more long term creativity.

Some blend of all of these is necessary. It is not necessary to be very successful at olympiads to do well at math research, because those involve too much of on the spot cleverness, whereas research mathematics is a slower, more arduous process, involving looking things up over a period of a year. HOWEVER, there is so much complexity to it that being able to internalize a lot of stuff swiftly is crucial.

Johnhodges80 said:
Thinking and grasping powers.

You sure post fast, maybe you have some solid thinking powers of your own?

mathwonk said:
curiosity, creativity, persistence. (I am a mathematician.)

This.

A thirst for knowledge and a drive to understand!

Functor97 said:

Functor97 said:

So essential it had to be said twice! :)

Prove Riemann's hypothesis.

You have to be smart and creative, must write papers if you want to be successful.

1) What are the essential skills for being a mathematician?

The essential skills for being a mathematician include critical thinking, problem solving, logical reasoning, analytical thinking, and attention to detail. These skills allow mathematicians to approach complex problems and develop solutions efficiently.

2) Is creativity important in mathematics?

Yes, creativity is an important aspect of mathematics. It allows mathematicians to think outside the box and come up with innovative solutions to problems. Creativity also helps in formulating new theories and concepts in mathematics.

3) What are the key qualities of a successful mathematician?

The key qualities of a successful mathematician include persistence, curiosity, adaptability, and a strong work ethic. These qualities enable mathematicians to overcome challenges and continue learning and growing in their field.

4) Do mathematicians only work with numbers?

No, mathematicians work with a wide range of concepts and theories, including logic, geometry, algebra, and statistics. They also use various tools and techniques such as computer programming and mathematical modeling to analyze and solve problems in different fields.

5) Can anyone become a mathematician?

Yes, anyone with a strong interest and aptitude for mathematics can become a mathematician. However, it requires dedication and hard work to develop the necessary skills and knowledge in this field. Regular practice and continuous learning are also essential for success as a mathematician.