1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the final velocity of mass

1. Nov 16, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A ball of mass 20.0kg (mass A) traveling at a initial speed of 5.0m/s, collides with a ball of mass 10.0kg (mass B) which was traveling at a initial speed of 1.0m/s. What is the final velocity of mass A, what is the final velocity of mass B?

mA = 2mB

2. Relevant equations
    ΣFext = 0
    Δp = 0
    ΔEk = 0
    quadratic equation

3. The attempt at a solution
    I am unsure how to find the final velocities here because I have two variables and I have to use the quadratic equation to find the final velocities right? So I was just wondering if I could somehow isolate and get rid of a variable, this is what I have so far:

Δp=0
    PiA + PiB = PfA +PfB
    mAviA + mBviB = mAvfA + mBvfB
    mAviA + 2mAviB = mAvfA + 2mBvfB
    viA + ViB = vfA + vfB
    (5.0) + (1.0) vfA + vfB
    6.0-vfA = vfB

Then I put it into the kinetic energy equation and put in all the numbers and I got as an answer:

510.0 = (20.0)(vfA)(squared) + (10.0)(vfB)(squared)

My question is basically how am I supposed to incorporate this into the quadratic equation to find the final velocities?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 16, 2008 #2

fluidistic

Gold Member

Re: Momentum

I'm not sure about what I will say but I think I'm right. It is an elastic collision.
    From the point of view of the mass B, the mass A collides at [tex]\frac{4m}{s}[/tex] and the mass B is at rest.
    So the problem remains simple. [tex]m_Av_A=m_Bv_{Bf} \Leftrightarrow v_{Bf}=\frac{m_Av_A}{m_B}=\frac{20kg\cdot 4m}{10kg\cdot s}[/tex].
    I'm not 100% sure though.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?