1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the force of the track on the car?

1. Nov 18, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A roller-coaster has a mass of 500 kg when fully loaded with passengers. The car passes over a hill of radius 15 m. When at the top of the hill, the car has a speed of 8.0 m/s. WHat is the force of the track on the car at the top of the hill?

2. Relevant equations
    F=ma

3. The attempt at a solution
    I drew an FBD: wtih mg pointing down, N pointing up and static friction pointing to the left. ( I think this may be wrong, but I figured it may need static friction to stay on the track).
    Then when broken into i and j components I got:
    i= -MsN=-MV2/r ...(because the acceleration is centripical)
    then for j:
    I have N-mg=0
    N=mg
    and since it was asking for the force of the track on the car, I thought this was the normal force, so I just plugged in the values for m ang, and got 4.9 kN up. This is wrong, it is saying the correct answer is 2.8 kN up. Any suggestions on where I went wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 18, 2008 #2

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The car is at the top of the hill; you seem to have your i and j mixed up. The centripetal accelertion is vertically down. Ignore friction.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?