What is the Force on a Wall from a Horizontal Water Jet?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 4K views
gidra
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
It's my first time writing on this forum, hope I'm posting in the correct section.

Problem :

A hose directs a horizontal jet of water on to a vertical wall.

What is the force on the wall, under the above conditions ? Explain.

Thanks for any replies
 
Physics news on Phys.org
A hose directs a horizontal jet of water, moving with a velocity of 20ms^-1, on to a vertical wall. The cross-sectional area of the jet is 5 x 10^-4 m^2. If the density of water is 1000kg m^-3:

a) fin the rate of change of momentum as the water hits the wall, assuming that the water is brought to rest there;

b) what is the force on the wall, under the above conditions? Explain
 
That's better. Hints for a: How much water hits the wall every second? What's its momentum just before it hits the wall? What's its momentum just after hitting the wall? What's the change in momentum?
 
I worked out part a, I'm stuck with the theoratic part now. Can't really understand the question. Thanks for your replies btw
 
I'm not sure I understand. You completed part a? And you're stuck on part b?