1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the force on an electron traveling parallel to the wire

1. Mar 11, 2009 #1
    1. Two parallel wires 0.200 m apart carry currents in opposite directions of 5.00 A. Find the
    magnetic field between the wires 0.0500 m from one of them and 0.150 m from the other.

2. A long straight wire carries a current of 100. A.
    a. What is the force on an electron traveling parallel to the wire, in the opposite
    direction to the current, at a speed of 2.50x106 m/s when it is 0.100 m from the
    wire?

Attempt: F=qvB

b. Find the force on the electron under the above circumstances when it is traveling
    perpendicular to the wire.
    electronic charge 1.602x10-19 C

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 11, 2009 #2

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Re: Magnetism

Just writing the Lorentz Force law isn't really an attempt.

How would you think to approach it?

4. Mar 11, 2009 #3
    Re: Magnetism

for the first one, do we just get the magnetic field total? This is what i did.

Btotal = B1 + B2
    B1 = MoI/2IIr ---> [(1.26X10^-6)(5)/(6.28)(15)
    B2 = MoI/2IIr ---> [(1.26x10^-6)(5)/(6.28)(0.05)

Is that right?

for the second one, I calculated magnetic field first. Then, used this equation:

F=qvb
    Magnetic force faces the positive x direction, right? Im still kinda confused about the right hand rule

b. Magnetic force faces in the negative y direction?

please let me know if im wrong about anything. Thanks !

5. Mar 11, 2009 #4

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook