What is the frequency of the signal?

In summary, the conversation is about finding the wavenumber and frequency of a water wave with a speed of 1.0 m/s and a distance between crests of 0.5 m. The wavenumber is calculated to be 12.56 and the frequency can be found using the equation ω = 2πf, which finally leads to the solution.
XodoX
1. A water wave has a speed of 1.0 m/s. The distance between crests is 0.5 m. What is the
wavenumber of the wave? If an observer at a fixed location measures the height h(t) of
the wave that passes by, what is the frequency of the signal h(t)?

2. k =2π/λ -> to get k= wavenumber

h (t) = Acos (ωt − kz +φ)

Hello, I need to do the above problem. I do have k( wavenumber). It's 12.56.

I can move on to the second question now. The equation I would use is the second one above.

ω = K*V.
T should be 0.
k is given now.

How do I get A and φ ? It should be φ = −ψ. But I don't know how to get −ψ.

ω could also be ω= 2πf But I don't know how to get f cause I don't have the Herz for the wave.

I hope somebody can help me!

Thank you!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

What equation relates frequency, wavelength, and wave speed?

Sorry, I don't get what you're trying to tell me. A might be the 0.5? Originally , I thought z was the 0.5.

Last edited:

Forget A, that is the amplitude and is not needed here.

Your textbook should have an equation containing f, λ, and v (frequency, wavelength, and wave speed, respectively). You are given λ and v in the problem statement, so the equation I refer to can be used to calculate what the frequency f is.

Again, you should be able to find it in your textbook.

We don't have a textbook. Just the notes provided by the teacher. And I tried every single equation, but I don't get it.

Thank you! This one finally works:)

What is the frequency of the signal?

The frequency of a signal is a measure of how many times the signal repeats in a given time period. It is typically measured in hertz (Hz), or cycles per second.

Why is the frequency of a signal important?

The frequency of a signal is important because it can tell us about the characteristics of the signal, such as its wavelength and energy. It also determines how the signal will interact with other signals and objects in its path.

How is the frequency of a signal determined?

The frequency of a signal can be determined using a variety of methods, depending on the type of signal. For example, for electromagnetic waves, the frequency can be calculated by dividing the speed of light by the wavelength. For sound waves, the frequency can be measured using a frequency meter or by counting the number of oscillations in a given time period.

Can the frequency of a signal change?

Yes, the frequency of a signal can change. This can happen naturally due to factors such as distance or interference, or it can be intentionally changed by manipulating the source of the signal.

What is the relationship between frequency and wavelength?

Frequency and wavelength are inversely proportional, meaning that as one increases, the other decreases. This relationship is described by the equation: speed of light = frequency x wavelength.