What is the general term of this sequence?

In summary, there are infinitely many general expressions for the given series, but finding the simplest one may not be straightforward. However, a possible pattern for the numerator is (2 more, same, 2 less) and thinking about perfect squares can help in finding a pattern for the denominator.
Denisse
Could you help me to find the general term of the sequence:

## 1 , \frac{5}{3} , 1 , \frac{15}{17} , 1 , \frac{37}{35} , 1 , \frac{63}{65} ,... ##

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
There are infinitely many general expressions for series which begin like that.
If you look for the "easiest" expression, there could be something simple, but I don't see it at the moment.
The numerator seems to follow the pattern (same as denominator, 2 more, same, 2 less, same, 2 more, ...).
I don't see a clear pattern for the denominator, however.

mfb said:
I don't see a clear pattern for the denominator, however.

Think about perfect squares.

micromass said:

Perfect squares? How? I don't see it

Well, 5/3 is (2^2 + 1)/(2^2 - 1) and 15/17 = (4^2 - 1)/(4^2+1) and 37/35 = ( 6^2 +1)/(6^2-1) and so on and so forth.

micromass said:
Oh, nice. I was too focused on powers of 2, which are close (+1, or +3 in one case) to all of the "visible" denominators.

What is the general term of this sequence?

The general term of a sequence is a formula or equation that can be used to find any term in the sequence. It is also known as the nth term.

How do you find the general term of a sequence?

To find the general term of a sequence, you need to first identify the pattern in the sequence. Then, you can use this pattern to create a formula or equation that can be used to find any term in the sequence.

Why is it important to know the general term of a sequence?

Knowing the general term of a sequence allows you to easily find any term in the sequence without having to list out all the terms. It also helps in understanding the behavior and properties of the sequence.

Can there be multiple general terms for a sequence?

Yes, there can be multiple general terms for a sequence depending on the pattern or rule used to generate the sequence. It is important to choose the most simple and concise general term.

Are there any shortcuts or tricks to finding the general term of a sequence?

While there are no specific shortcuts or tricks, it is helpful to have a strong understanding of basic algebra and patterns. Practice and familiarity with different types of sequences can also make it easier to identify patterns and come up with the general term.