What is the ground state energy of an electron? I thought i did this right

In summary, the ground state energy of an electron can be calculated using the formula E_n = (h^2/(8*m*L^2))*n^2, where n is the energy level and L is the size of the atom. However, it is important to use consistent units, such as switching the mass to MeV/c^2 or using Planck's constant in Joules. It is also recommended to convert to eV at the end for easier comparison.
mr_coffee
What is the ground state energy of the following.
(a) an electron

Well the formula is:
E_n = (h^2/(8*m*L^2))*n^2;
The ground state means, n = 1, its the lowest enegery level possible.
So i plugged in n = 1,
mass of e = 9.11E-31;
h = 4.136E-15 eVs;
L = 100 pm, because the book says that's tabout the size of a typical atom.
I ended up getting:
E_1 = 2.347E20 eV which was wrong, any ideas why? They really don't tell me what value i should give L, so I'm guessing that's where i screwed up maybe? In the book it says the electron is in an infintie well. thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You can't use the eV*s version of Planck's constant if you are using the mass in kg. You must use h=6.6261*10^-34 J*s or switch the mass to the MeV/c^2 unit and use hc = 1239.8ev*nm

mr_coffee said:
What is the ground state energy of the following.
(a) an electron

Well the formula is:
E_n = (h^2/(8*m*L^2))*n^2;
The ground state means, n = 1, its the lowest enegery level possible.
So i plugged in n = 1,
mass of e = 9.11E-31;
h = 4.136E-15 eVs;
L = 100 pm, because the book says that's tabout the size of a typical atom.
I ended up getting:
E_1 = 2.347E20 eV which was wrong, any ideas why? They really don't tell me what value i should give L, so I'm guessing that's where i screwed up maybe? thanks!
because you are mixing units... If you use eV for energy and kg for mass, you are in trouble. If you write the unit sout, you will see that tey don't simplify. My suggestion is, when you are not sure, to put everything in SI units and convert back to eV at the very end

Thanks for the responce guys, when i just use the units to see what i end up with, I'm getting (J*s)^2/(kg*m^2), now if i want this in eV, 1 eV = 1.602E-19J;
but it still doesn't work out to the right units... anyone see what I'm not getting?

1. What is the ground state energy of an electron?

The ground state energy of an electron is the lowest possible energy level that an electron can occupy within an atom. It is also known as the zero-point energy or the lowest energy state.

2. How is the ground state energy of an electron determined?

The ground state energy of an electron can be determined through quantum mechanical calculations and experiments. These calculations take into account the electron's mass, charge, and the properties of the atom it is located in.

3. Why is the ground state energy of an electron important?

The ground state energy of an electron is important because it determines the stability and behavior of atoms. It is also used in various applications such as determining the energy levels of atoms in spectroscopy.

4. Can the ground state energy of an electron change?

Yes, the ground state energy of an electron can change if the electron absorbs or releases energy. This can happen through various processes such as electron excitation or electron emission.

5. How does the ground state energy of an electron relate to the electron's orbit around the nucleus?

The ground state energy of an electron is directly related to its orbit around the nucleus. As the electron moves further away from the nucleus, its energy level increases, and it is considered to be in an excited state rather than the ground state.