Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: What is the ideal generated by a and b.

1. Sep 3, 2008 #1
    what is "the ideal generated by a and b."

I'm doing a problem and I'm a little confused on the notation.

Let R be a ring and [tex]a,b \in R[/tex]. Prove that [tex](a, b)[/tex], the ideal generated by a and b is the...

I want to do this on my own so I left out the rest of the problem. I just need to know if [tex](a, b) = aR \cup bR[/tex]. Or is it some kind of set of ordered pairs?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 3, 2008 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Re: what is "the ideal generated by a and b."

It's not the union aR and bR. It's the set of all sums of the form aR+bR. They aren't the same. And unless (a,b) is some funny notation different from {a,b} then it has nothing to do with ordered pairs.

4. Sep 3, 2008 #3

Okay that makes sense. The way I described it it wouldn't even be closed under addition.

5. Sep 5, 2008 #4

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

General remark: Usually the phrase "object of type T generated by a set X" means "smallest object of type T containing the set X." And usually this is the 'intersection' (or appropriate analogue) of all objects of type T containing the set X.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook