1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ideals and commutative rings with unity

1. Jan 28, 2013 #1

Zondrina

Homework Helper

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

From contemporary abstract algebra :

http://gyazo.com/08def13b62b0512a23505811bcc1e37e

2. Relevant equations

"A subring A of a ring R is called a (two-sided) ideal of R if for every r in R and every a in A both ra and ar are in A."

So I know that since A and B are ideals of a ring R, [itex]ar, ra \in A[/itex] and [itex]br, rb \in B[/itex] for all [itex]a \in A, \space b \in B, \space r \in R[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

So my guess is to argue the double inclusion for this.

Case : [itex]A \cap B \subseteq AB[/itex]

Suppose [itex]k \in A \cap B[/itex], then [itex]k \in A[/itex] and [itex]k \in B[/itex]. We want to show [itex]k \in AB[/itex]

I'm having trouble seeing how the given facts are supposed to steer the argument from here. Help would be much appreciated.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 28, 2013 #2

Zondrina

Homework Helper

Hmm I thought about this for an hour or so... and I THINK I may be on to something. I'll continue my flow below :

Case : [itex]A \cap B \subseteq AB[/itex]

Suppose [itex]k \in A \cap B[/itex], then [itex]k \in A[/itex] and [itex]k \in B[/itex]. We want to show [itex]k \in AB[/itex].

Since we know R is a commutative ring with unity, let e denote the unity in R.

Now since [itex]R = A + B[/itex], we know that [itex]e = a + b[/itex] for some [itex]a \in A[/itex] and [itex]b \in B[/itex]. Now :

e = a + b
    ke = k(a + b)
    k = ka + kb

Hence [itex]ka \in A[/itex] and [itex]kb \in B[/itex] hence [itex]k \in A + B[/itex]

We can take [itex]a \in A[/itex] and we can take [itex]k \in B[/itex]. We can also take [itex]b \in B[/itex] and we can take [itex]k \in A[/itex]. Putting these together we have [itex]ka \in AB[/itex] and [itex]kb \in AB[/itex] so that [itex]k \in AB[/itex] since [itex]a \in A[/itex] and [itex]b \in B[/itex] as desired.

[itex]∴ A \cap B \subseteq AB[/itex]

Case : [itex]A \cap B \supseteq AB[/itex]

Let [itex]ab \in AB[/itex]

Now, [itex]ab \in A[/itex] since [itex]a \in A[/itex], [itex]b \in R[/itex] and A is an ideal of R. Also, [itex]ab \in B[/itex] since [itex]b \in B[/itex], [itex]a \in R[/itex] and B is an ideal of R. Hence [itex]ab \in A \cap B[/itex].

[itex]∴ A \cap B \supseteq AB[/itex]

[itex]∴ A \cap B = AB[/itex]

I think that's it... If someone could look over it for me and tell me maybe if I missed something or if it's completely wrong that would be great :).

4. Jan 28, 2013 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Writing e=a+b is a great idea. I think you could write it read a little better. Like did you really need to say "Hence [itex]ka \in A[/itex] and [itex]kb \in B[/itex] hence [itex]k \in A + B[/itex]"? Did you ever use that k is in A+B?

5. Jan 28, 2013 #4

Zondrina

Homework Helper

Yes good point. I never used it at all so I don't need it there. I wrote it down just to have it around incase I MAY have needed it yknow?

Does anything else not make sense or has early morning thinking saved me again?

6. Jan 28, 2013 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No, it all looks good to me.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook