What Is the Index of Refraction for Each Wavelength in a Prism?

  • Thread starter Thread starter ghostops
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Light Prism Ray
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 8K views
ghostops
Messages
14
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A light ray in air strikes the right-angle prism shown in the figure (Figure 1) (∠B=28.0∘). This ray consists of two different wavelengths. When it emerges at face AB, it has been split into two different rays that diverge from each other by 8.50∘ .

Find the index of refraction of the prism for each of the two wavelengths.
Enter your answers in ascending order separated by a comma.


Homework Equations


nasinΘa=nbsinΘb


The Attempt at a Solution


From the Normal I determined that the angles for n1 and n2 are 74 and 82.5. However I am running into the issue of where to go from here Also the angle for the incident angle is 62.

I did not know what the index is for the Right angle prism I used 1.5 for glass for it orginally and out with the values 1.38 (74)and 1.34 (82.5). however those were not the correct values.

I do not know where to go from here

thank you in advance
 
Attachments
  • PHys homework 1.png
    PHys homework 1.png
    9.9 KB · Views: 1,314
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello, ghostops.

ghostops said:
1. The problem statement
Find the index of refraction of the prism for each of the two wavelengths.

Homework Equations


nasinΘa=nbsinΘb

The Attempt at a Solution


From the Normal I determined that the angles for n1 and n2 are 74 and 82.5. ... Also the angle for the incident angle is 62.

Your numbers look good to me.

I did not know what the index is for the Right angle prism... I used 1.5 for glass for it

I believe this is what the question is asking you to calculate. Try setting up Snell's law for the ray corresponding to the 12o angle in the picture. Then repeat for the other ray.