What is the index of refraction of the glass in this reflection problem?

In summary, the conversation discusses the investigation of the polarization of light reflected from a flat glass surface at a 37.5 degree angle. The relationship between the maximum and minimum values of intensity when rotated with a polaroid is 4.0. The index of refraction of the glass can be determined using Fresnel's equations and Shell's law. The conversation also includes a brief explanation of how the non-polarized and polarized components of the reflected light are related and the struggles the individual has had understanding the topic. They are directed to look into Fresnel reflection coefficients for more information.
Sheepwall

Homework Statement

Unpolarized light hits a flat glass surface, 37.5 degrees to the surface's normal. The reflected light's polarization is investigated with a polaroid. The relationship between the max and min value of intensity from the polaroid when it is rotated is 4.0. What is the index of refraction of the glass?

Homework Equations

Fresnel's equations and Shell's law.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have got no clue, and I've gotten rather frustrated. The only thought I have is that the reflected polarized intensity is 1.5 times that of the non-polarized reflected intensity. Please aid me, I do not enjoy this part of physics, while I love most other.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sheepwall said:
the reflected polarized intensity is 1.5 times that of the non-polarized reflected intensity.
Where does that come from?
What equations do you have for how reflected intensity depends on polarisation and angle?

Nonpolarized wave through polaroid always halves its intensity; When the max value of intensity is reached, the full intensity of the polarized component of the partially polarized wave is let through. Now, the whole intensity of this max is the sum of the halved non-polarized wave and the full polarized wave's intensities, (1/2)*I1+I2 (I1 being the non-polarized wave and I2 being the polarized component). When the minimum value of intensity is reached, none of the polarized component of the wave is let through, so the whole intensity is that of the non-polarized component, divided by 2. The ratio between these values is said to be 4, meaning that:

[(1/2)*I1 + I2]/[(1/2)*I1] = 4

Solving for I2:

I2 = 2*I1 - (1/2)*I1 = (3/2)*I1

I apologize for the terse messages, I've been up all night trying to catch up with schedule, reading a text with barely any explanations or reasonings behind statements about these waves. It has not been a good idea so far.

Sheepwall said:
Nonpolarized wave through polaroid always halves its intensity; When the max value of intensity is reached, the full intensity of the polarized component of the partially polarized wave is let through. Now, the whole intensity of this max is the sum of the halved non-polarized wave and the full polarized wave's intensities, (1/2)*I1+I2 (I1 being the non-polarized wave and I2 being the polarized component). When the minimum value of intensity is reached, none of the polarized component of the wave is let through, so the whole intensity is that of the non-polarized component, divided by 2. The ratio between these values is said to be 4, meaning that:

[(1/2)*I1 + I2]/[(1/2)*I1] = 4

Solving for I2:

I2 = 2*I1 - (1/2)*I1 = (3/2)*I1

I apologize for the terse messages, I've been up all night trying to catch up with schedule, reading a text with barely any explanations or reasonings behind statements about these waves. It has not been a good idea so far.
I'm no expert on this subject, but I thought you could consider the original beam as composed of s-polarised and p-polarised (equal intensities). The min through the polaroid would be the p component and the max would be the s component. There are equations for what fraction of each is reflected given the incident angle and the refractive index.

Browse "Fresnel reflection coefficients".

Likes Sheepwall and BvU

1. What is the definition of refraction index?

The refraction index, also known as refractive index, is a measure of how much a material slows down the speed of light as it passes through it. It is calculated by dividing the speed of light in a vacuum by the speed of light in the material.

2. How does refraction index affect the behavior of light?

The refraction index determines the angle at which light bends as it passes through a material. This is what causes objects to appear distorted when viewed through a transparent material, such as a glass lens.

3. What factors can influence the refraction index of a material?

The refraction index of a material can be influenced by factors such as temperature, pressure, and the wavelength of light passing through it. In general, the higher the density of the material, the higher the refraction index will be.

4. How is the refraction index used in practical applications?

The refraction index is used in a variety of practical applications, such as optics, telecommunications, and medicine. It is used to design lenses, prisms, and other optical devices, as well as to analyze the composition of materials and diagnose medical conditions.

5. What is the difference between refraction index and reflection index?

Refraction index and reflection index are two different properties of light. Refraction index refers to the bending of light as it passes through a material, while reflection index refers to the amount of light that is reflected off the surface of a material. These properties are related, but not the same, as reflection index only takes into account the light that is reflected, while refraction index takes into account the light that is both refracted and reflected.