What is the influence of a lever arm's flexibility on torque?

In summary, the conversation discusses the influence of the flexibility of a lever on the torque it can generate and why the equation T=Fd does not take this into account. It is suggested that the deformation of the lever may result in a discrepancy between the magnitude of the applied force and the torque it generates, as some of the applied force may be stored as elastic energy in the lever arm. However, it is also mentioned that once the lever is fully deformed, the torque will remain the same. The conversation also touches on the difference between force and energy, and how flexibility may affect the ability to apply force and the work required.
Connordzg
If you flex a pipe, the energy is stored in it (assuming it returns to its original state). If that pipe were being used as a lever, wouldn't the torque it can generate be influenced by the flexibility of the lever? Why doesn't the equation T=Fd take this into account? Would all of the applied force be transferred to the torque?

Physics news on Phys.org
What I mean by this, is that wouldn't some of the applied force be stored as elastic energy in the lever arm? If yes, wouldn't this result in a discrepancy between the magnitude of the applied force and the magnitude of torque it generates?

Connordzg said:
If you flex a pipe, the energy is stored in it (assuming it returns to its original state). If that pipe were being used as a lever, wouldn't the torque it can generate be influenced by the flexibility of the lever? Why doesn't the equation T=Fd take this into account? Would all of the applied force be transferred to the torque?

Connordzg said:
What I mean by this, is that wouldn't some of the applied force be stored as elastic energy in the lever arm? If yes, wouldn't this result in a discrepancy between the magnitude of the applied force and the magnitude of torque it generates?

I believe that is correct. Just as if you had a spring that you were applying the force to the end of the lever through. That's why torque wrenches are usually made with very strong and stiff lever arms... :smile:

I'm not sure I agree. I'm assuming for a second the deformation is not so large that the geometry of the wrench would cause a different torque equation. In that case, once the wrench has reached its maximum bend, it will essentially behave like a completely solid wrench again.
So, while a certain amount of energy will have been lost, the torque, once the wrench is fully deformed, will stay the same. One during the deformation will it be lower.

Didn't read the whole post I responded to.

Connordzg said:
wouldn't some of the applied force be stored as elastic energy
No, force is not energy. At low accelerations, you can ignore the inertia of the lever and propagation velocity within the material. Then flexibility doesn't affect the relation between applied force and created torque. But a flexible lever might affect your ability to apply the force in the first place, and it affects the work you have to do, which will be stored as elastic energy.

1. What is a lever arm's flexibility?

A lever arm's flexibility refers to its ability to bend or move under applied force. This can be affected by the material, thickness, and shape of the lever arm.

2. How does a lever arm's flexibility affect torque?

The flexibility of a lever arm can impact the amount of torque that can be produced. A more flexible lever arm will have a lower torque capacity compared to a stiffer lever arm of the same length and material.

3. Can a flexible lever arm increase torque?

In most cases, a flexible lever arm will not increase torque. However, in some situations, such as when the applied force is distributed evenly along the length of the lever arm, a flexible lever arm can produce a slightly higher torque compared to a rigid lever arm.

4. What are the advantages of using a flexible lever arm?

A flexible lever arm can provide some advantages in certain applications. It can help absorb shocks and vibrations, reduce stress on other components, and allow for more precise movements in delicate tasks.

5. Are there any disadvantages to using a flexible lever arm?

One potential disadvantage of using a flexible lever arm is that it can introduce some unpredictability in the amount of torque produced. Additionally, if the lever arm is too flexible, it may not be able to withstand high levels of force without bending or breaking.