What is the initial velocity of the ball just as it enters the screen?

In summary, initial velocity is the starting velocity of an object in motion. It can be calculated by dividing the displacement by the time taken. Knowing the initial velocity of a ball entering a screen is important for predicting its trajectory and speed. The initial velocity can be affected by factors such as force, angle, air resistance, and mass. The initial velocity also determines the final position of the ball, with a higher initial velocity resulting in a longer distance traveled and a lower initial velocity resulting in a shorter distance traveled.
camp_loll

Homework Statement

The Job

Using your understanding of projectile motion along with some background research on video analysis, devise a way to find the initial velocity of the tennis ball in the video just as it enters the bottom left of the screen.

Important Information

There is some important information for you to consider when completing this project. The distance between the two vertical black lines in the video is 50 cm. The distance between the two horizontal black lines in the video is 50 cm; but do not assume the same scale for the horizontal as for the vertical. Also, the frame rate of the video is 30 frames per second. Assume that position (0, 0) is the bottom, left corner.

Homework Equations

v_f = v_i - gt
d = d(v_i + v_f)
d = v_ox(t)

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved the initial horizontal and initial horizontal velocity which are 3.13 m/s and 0.784 m/s, respectively. I need to calcute the direction and the angle.

Physics news on Phys.org
camp_loll said:

Homework Statement

The Job

Using your understanding of projectile motion along with some background research on video analysis, devise a way to find the initial velocity of the tennis ball in the video just as it enters the bottom left of the screen.

Important Information

There is some important information for you to consider when completing this project. The distance between the two vertical black lines in the video is 50 cm. The distance between the two horizontal black lines in the video is 50 cm; but do not assume the same scale for the horizontal as for the vertical. Also, the frame rate of the video is 30 frames per second. Assume that position (0, 0) is the bottom, left corner.

Homework Equations

v_f = v_i - gt
d = d(v_i + v_f)
d = v_ox(t)

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved the initial horizontal and initial horizontal velocity which are 3.13 m/s and 0.784 m/s, respectively. I need to calcute the direction and the angle.
Hi camp_loll, Welcome to Physics Forums.

Your "Attempt at a solution" is a problem statement, not an attempt.

Can you show us what you've tried?

1. What is initial velocity?

Initial velocity is the velocity of an object at the beginning of its motion.

2. How is initial velocity calculated?

Initial velocity can be calculated by dividing the displacement of the object by the time it takes to reach that displacement.

3. Why is it important to know the initial velocity of a ball entering a screen?

Knowing the initial velocity of a ball entering a screen can help determine the trajectory and speed of the ball, which is important for predicting where it will land and how fast it is moving.

4. What factors can affect the initial velocity of a ball entering a screen?

The initial velocity of a ball entering a screen can be affected by the force and angle at which it was thrown, air resistance, and the mass of the ball.

5. How does the initial velocity of a ball entering a screen impact its final position?

The initial velocity of a ball entering a screen can greatly impact its final position, as it determines the speed and direction of the ball. A higher initial velocity will result in a longer distance traveled and a lower initial velocity will result in a shorter distance traveled.