What is the intensity of an electromagnetic radiation?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
ecastro
Messages
249
Reaction score
8
How can I compute the intensity of an electromagnetic radiation if I know ##e_x, e_y, e_z, h_x, h_y,## and ##h_z##, where ##e_i## is the electric field component at ##i## and ##h_i## is the magnetic field component, also at ##i##?

Thank you in advance.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
jtbell said:
See the discussion of Poynting flux at about the middle of this page:

http://farside.ph.utexas.edu/teaching/em/lectures/node89.html

I assume that by "intensity" you mean energy transported by the radiation per unit area per unit time, e.g. J/(m2·s) = W/m2.
The intensity here is the amount of radiation received by a detector. Is it the same as the radiation per unit area per unit time?
 
If you want the amount of energy received by a detector that has a certain area, during a certain amount of time, then you multiply the Poynting flux (as given on that page) by the area and the time.