What is the Inverse Cosine of a Squared Angle?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
Mechaman
Messages
37
Reaction score
1
Member warned about posting without the HW template
Not sure if I'm doing this right. I have an angle theta to find but the cosine has been squared. I brought over inverse cosine to multiply to leave theta on its own. I was told the answer should be closer to 37 degrees? Am I doing something wrong here?

IMAG0042.jpg
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Mechaman said:
Not sure if I'm doing this right. I have an angle theta to find but the cosine has been squared. I brought over inverse cosine to multiply to leave theta on its own. I was told the answer should be closer to 37 degrees? Am I doing something wrong here?

View attachment 89616
On the 4th line from the bottom you have ##\frac{\sigma_n}{\sigma_x} = \cos^2(\theta)##
This is equivalent to ##\cos(\theta) = \pm \sqrt{\frac{\sigma_n}{\sigma_x}}##
If you take the inverse cosine of both sides, you can isolate ##\theta##. You are NOT multiplying by inverse cosine to get this.

There are many values of ##\theta## that satisfy the last equation above. One that I get is around 37.6°. Please show us the calculation you did.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Mechaman
Mark44 said:
On the 4th line from the bottom you have ##\frac{\sigma_n}{\sigma_x} = \cos^2(\theta)##
This is equivalent to ##\cos(\theta) = \pm \sqrt{\frac{\sigma_n}{\sigma_x}}##
If you take the inverse cosine of both sides, you can isolate ##\theta##. You are NOT multiplying by inverse cosine to get this.

There are many values of ##\theta## that satisfy the last equation above. One that I get is around 37.6°. Please show us the calculation you did.

Thanks for helping I worked it out as the same 37.56 degrees, my maths is a little rusty at the moment!
 
Mechaman said:
Thanks for helping I worked it out as the same 37.56 degrees, my maths is a little rusty at the moment!
Keep in mind that +/-. There's another value around 142°.