1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the Jones Matrix of a mirror at an angle?

1. Dec 1, 2015 #1
    Hi,

Concerning optical polarization, what is the Jones Matrix of a mirror at a non-zero angle of incidence with respect to incoming light?

For a mirror at normal incidence the matrix is (1 0; 0 -1);
    How do I incorporate the angle?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 1, 2015 #2

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

4. Dec 1, 2015 #3

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Interesting question- I'm not sure the Jones calculus can handle this. Have you tried constructing a transformation matrix to convert the |H> and |V> states into |P> and |S> states?

5. Dec 2, 2015 #4

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think using Fresnel equations for reflection is sufficient if the system only involves linear and isotropic media, as in such a system, there are no cross-talks between the S and P polarizations.

6. Dec 2, 2015 #5

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

That's what I meant, and you're right, everything needs to be well-behaved. I have derived the "maltese cross" pattern for high NA objectives using the Jones formalism by writing a Jones vector for a plane wave propagating along the optical axis using the |P> and |S> basis, the two components vary with azimuthal angle.

A good paper showing this type of analysis in detail is here: http://www.mbl.edu/cdp/files/2012/07/oe_02_943.pdf [Broken], and it should provide the OP with sufficient information.

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  7. Dec 4, 2015 #6
    Thanks guys, I still been unable to actually construct the matrix, but this is quite adequate for the application.

Cheers

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook