1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantum What is the level of Klauber's Student Friendly QFT?

1. Dec 21, 2017 #1
    Hi!
    I have studied about 70% of the textbook QFT for the Gifted Amateur by Lancaster and Blundell and I think that I am now ready to go to more advanced treatments.
    My thoughts were to go to Klauber's Student Friendly Quantum Field Theory as I have read that it is very pedagogical. Problem is that I do not know the level of this textbook. My final goal is to go through a textbook like the highly-praised textbook by Schwartz called Quantum Field Theory and the Standard Model(I have tried to use Peskin and Schroeder's textbook and I have read the first 3 chapters-only the 2nd and 3rd have true meat though- but I found it to be very dry and unenthusiastic while I think that Schwartz's textbook is much more lively in its presentation)

The problem is that I do not know what the level of Klauber's textbook is. How does it compare to the level of the textbooks by Lancaster & Blundell or Schwartz's?

Thanks in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 21, 2017 #2

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I would say that "Student Friendly Quantum Field Theory" is a little lower level than "Quantum Field Theory for the Gifted Amateur"; "Student Friendly Quantum Field Theory" is certainly less general. Why not try Schwartz (the actual textbook, not the pre-book lecture notes)?

4. Dec 21, 2017 #3

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Klauber's book has a solutions manual that can be purchased....That helps immensely....

5. Dec 22, 2017 #4
    Well, if this is the case, then I should indeed try Schwartz.
    Do you have any other textbook to suggest?

6. Dec 22, 2017 #5

Demystifier

Science Advisor

Both Student Friendly QFT and QFT for the Gifted Amateur are books written at an introductory level. Yet those are very different books, in a sense complementary to each other, so I would recommend to read both. Student Friendly is a pedestrian book with all calculation steps explicit. Gifted Amateur is more concerned with conceptual understanding than with technicalities.

For someone whose final goal is Schwartz or Peskin and Schroeder, the Student Friendly is a much better preparation than the Gifted Amateur. For that purpose, Greiner and Reinhardt - Field Quantization, is also an excellent introduction.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2017
  7. Dec 22, 2017 #6
    At what level would you put Greiner's Field Quantization?

8. Dec 22, 2017 #7

Demystifier

Science Advisor

At the same level as Student Friendly, that is QFT for beginners.

9. Dec 23, 2017 #8

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

Indeed, Walter Greiner's and Joachim Reinhardt's (both passed away last year) book is great, because it explains everything with many steps in the calculations. It helps a lot to become familiar with the specific type of math.

10. Dec 30, 2017 #9
    After QM (say, Sakurai), what order Greiner's books should be read? Relativistic QM, Field Quantization, QED, QCD, Weak interactions - is this the correct order? Do each of these build on the previous book or are they independent?

11. Dec 31, 2017 #10

Demystifier

Science Advisor

@vanhees71 will advise you strongly against any book on relativistic QM, but otherwise I am sure he will agree with me that the above choice and order is excellent. QCD and Weak are independent, so their order can be changed.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
  12. Dec 31, 2017 #11
    Thanks.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted