What is the level of Klauber's Student Friendly QFT?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
10 replies · 7K views
Joker93
Messages
502
Reaction score
37
Hi!
I have studied about 70% of the textbook QFT for the Gifted Amateur by Lancaster and Blundell and I think that I am now ready to go to more advanced treatments.
My thoughts were to go to Klauber's Student Friendly Quantum Field Theory as I have read that it is very pedagogical. Problem is that I do not know the level of this textbook. My final goal is to go through a textbook like the highly-praised textbook by Schwartz called Quantum Field Theory and the Standard Model(I have tried to use Peskin and Schroeder's textbook and I have read the first 3 chapters-only the 2nd and 3rd have true meat though- but I found it to be very dry and unenthusiastic while I think that Schwartz's textbook is much more lively in its presentation)

The problem is that I do not know what the level of Klauber's textbook is. How does it compare to the level of the textbooks by Lancaster & Blundell or Schwartz's?

Thanks in advance!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I would say that "Student Friendly Quantum Field Theory" is a little lower level than "Quantum Field Theory for the Gifted Amateur"; "Student Friendly Quantum Field Theory" is certainly less general. Why not try Schwartz (the actual textbook, not the pre-book lecture notes)?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: vanhees71 and Demystifier
George Jones said:
I would say that "Student Friendly Quantum Field Theory" is a little lower level than "Quantum Field Theory for the Gifted Amateur"; "Student Friendly Quantum Field Theory" is certainly less general. Why not try Schwartz (the actual textbook, not the pre-book lecture notes)?
Well, if this is the case, then I should indeed try Schwartz.
Do you have any other textbook to suggest?
 
Both Student Friendly QFT and QFT for the Gifted Amateur are books written at an introductory level. Yet those are very different books, in a sense complementary to each other, so I would recommend to read both. Student Friendly is a pedestrian book with all calculation steps explicit. Gifted Amateur is more concerned with conceptual understanding than with technicalities.

For someone whose final goal is Schwartz or Peskin and Schroeder, the Student Friendly is a much better preparation than the Gifted Amateur. For that purpose, Greiner and Reinhardt - Field Quantization, is also an excellent introduction.
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: dsaun777, MichPod, vanhees71 and 1 other person
Demystifier said:
Both Student Friendly QFT and QFT for the Gifted Amateur are books written at an introductory level. Yet those are very different books, in a sense complementary to each other, so I would recommend to read both. Student Friendly is a pedestrian book with all calculation steps explicit. Gifted Amateur is more concerned with conceptual understanding than with technicalities.

For someone whose final goal is Schwartz or Peskin and Schroeder, the Student Friendly is a much better preparation than the Gifted Amateur. For that purpose, Greiner and Reinhardt - Field Quantization, is also an excellent introduction.
At what level would you put Greiner's Field Quantization?
 
Joker93 said:
At what level would you put Greiner's Field Quantization?
At the same level as Student Friendly, that is QFT for beginners.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Joker93
Indeed, Walter Greiner's and Joachim Reinhardt's (both passed away last year) book is great, because it explains everything with many steps in the calculations. It helps a lot to become familiar with the specific type of math.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: MichPod and Demystifier
vanhees71 said:
Indeed, Walter Greiner's and Joachim Reinhardt's (both passed away last year) book is great, because it explains everything with many steps in the calculations. It helps a lot to become familiar with the specific type of math.
After QM (say, Sakurai), what order Greiner's books should be read? Relativistic QM, Field Quantization, QED, QCD, Weak interactions - is this the correct order? Do each of these build on the previous book or are they independent?
 
smodak said:
After QM (say, Sakurai), what order Greiner's books should be read? Relativistic QM, Field Quantization, QED, QCD, Weak interactions - is this the correct order? Do each of these build on the previous book or are they independent?
@vanhees71 will advise you strongly against any book on relativistic QM, but otherwise I am sure he will agree with me that the above choice and order is excellent. QCD and Weak are independent, so their order can be changed.
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: dsaun777, vanhees71 and smodak
Demystifier said:
@vanhees71 will advise you strongly against any book on relativistic QM, but otherwise I am sure he will agree with me that the above choice and order is excellent. QCD and Weak are independent, so their order can be changed.
Thanks.