What is the Load rating of Aluminum rectangle tubing?

In summary, the problem described is a compromised pickup camper cabover floor due to dryrot and a blowout. The proposed solution is to build supports using aluminum rectangular tubing and cross members, with panels attached for added support. The question is how much weight the tubing can hold and if something smaller can be used to save weight and space. Based on the current dimensions, it is recommended to use 101.6 x 38.1 x 3.175 mm tubing, but if using 101.6 x 50.8 x 3.175 mm tubing, thicker panels may be needed to prevent bending.
studay
Greetings, I will describe the problem and my proposed solution which leads me to the load bearing question..

Problem: Pickup camper cabover floor is compromised where it attaches to the driver side sidewall, i.e., separation of floor from sidewall due to some dryrot and a blowout doing 65mph with the camper on... not fun..

Solution?: Instead of rebuilding the front structure I propose to build supports (aluminum rectangle 6061-T6 tubing 4x2x0.125) that run underneath across (two 8 foot spans) and welded together with cross members (three 31 inch pieces). Attached page 1 gives an idea of the concept. Trying to keep the weight down as well as not go any more than 2 inches below the cabover floor (don't want it to hit the truck roof..)

They will be through bolted to the cabover frame where possible underneath and the panels you see in the second page of the attachment will hold it up via through bolts into the sidewall frame. I will have the panels (6061 aluminum plate 0.125) welded to the outer 4x2 pieces.

THE Question(s):

1) How much weight will 4x2x0.125 hold assuming there would be two full size adults and gear above (~600lbs total with 500 of that being in the middle 60% of the 8 foot span when sleeping)?

2) Do I really need 4x2x0.125 or can I use something smaller to save the weight and space (1x3, 1x4, 2x3, 2x2, or tubing? I was told that grating wouldn't work given the weight needed to cover that span)? Remember the floor is still firmly attached (i.e., as structurally sound as it can be given the damage on the one side) on 3 other sides and ~25% of the 'broken' side.

Appreciate any feedback offered. Thanks!

Attachments

• PFQ.doc
    210.5 KB · Views: 824
Engineering news on Phys.org
studay: It currently appears 101.6 mm wide x 38.1 mm deep x 3.175 mm thick Al 6061-T6 rectangular tubing would be adequate to support your stated loading.

However, because your 991 x 305 x 3.175 mm thick Al 6061-T6 end panels are only a flat, thin plate, it appears they might bend at the horizontal line in your second diagram between your rectangular tube cross member and the camper sidewall, unless you make these two aluminum end panels 7.1 mm thick.

Last edited:
Thank you nvn. I was hoping I did not have to go that thick on the side panels. Does that hold true if I go with the 101.6 mm x 50.8 mm x 3.175 mm for the tubing (31 inch length welded to the two 8 foot spans)? I may be loosing it but your reply seems to have changed a bit since last evening :confused:

studay: For simplicity, we can say it would be the same with the 101.6 x 50.8 x 3.175 mm rectangular tubing.

Thank you for providing detailed information about your proposed solution to the problem with your pickup camper cabover floor. In order to determine the appropriate load rating for the aluminum rectangle tubing, we would need to know the specific grade and thickness of the 6061-T6 aluminum being used. This information is crucial in calculating the load capacity of the tubing. However, based on the dimensions you provided (4x2x0.125), it appears that the tubing has a cross-sectional area of 0.5 square inches. The load capacity of the tubing will also depend on the type of loading it is subjected to (e.g. static or dynamic) and the support conditions (e.g. fixed or pinned).

Assuming a static loading and fixed support conditions, the maximum load that the tubing can support can be calculated using the Euler-Bernoulli beam equation. However, since the tubing will also be welded and reinforced with cross members, the actual load capacity may be higher than the theoretical calculation. It is recommended to consult with a structural engineer or refer to engineering handbooks for more precise calculations based on your specific design and loading conditions.

To address your second question, using a smaller size tubing or structural member may not necessarily save weight or space. In fact, using a smaller size may result in a weaker and less stable support structure. It is important to consider the overall stability and strength of the structure when making design decisions.

In conclusion, the load capacity of the aluminum rectangle tubing will depend on various factors and should be calculated based on your specific design and loading conditions. It is recommended to consult with a structural engineer to ensure the safety and stability of your proposed solution.

1. What is the definition of load rating for aluminum rectangle tubing?

The load rating of aluminum rectangle tubing refers to the maximum amount of weight or load that the tubing can safely support without breaking or deforming.

2. How is the load rating of aluminum rectangle tubing determined?

The load rating of aluminum rectangle tubing is determined through various factors such as the material composition, wall thickness, and cross-sectional dimensions of the tubing. These factors are calculated and tested to determine the maximum load the tubing can handle.

3. What is the difference between static and dynamic load ratings for aluminum rectangle tubing?

The static load rating refers to the maximum weight or load that the tubing can support when it is not in motion. On the other hand, the dynamic load rating refers to the maximum weight or load that the tubing can handle when it is in motion or subject to vibration or other external forces.

4. How does the load rating of aluminum rectangle tubing compare to other materials?

Aluminum rectangle tubing has a higher load rating compared to other materials such as wood or plastic due to its strength and durability. However, it may have a lower load rating compared to steel tubing of the same dimensions.

5. Can the load rating of aluminum rectangle tubing be increased?

Yes, the load rating of aluminum rectangle tubing can be increased by using thicker walls or larger cross-sectional dimensions. However, it is important to note that the load rating is also affected by other factors such as the quality of the material and the manufacturing process.